X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltronic 48v System Battery Charge

Hi All. I have a voltronic controller (5k) inverter set up with 48v batteries and 12 PV panels. In industry a 48v battery pack on charge would be around 56v. Has anyone got the same type of set up and could advise settings for charging please as mine will only charge to 51v. I need to fully charge them to avoid damage and under performing system. Bulk charge setting is 58.4v. Floating charge 54v. If I set the voltage back to battery to 54v default the system does not run as batteries do not get that high. Anyone any ideas please ?
    Last edited by Stevespain; 02-26-2019, 01:15 PM.

Have you measured the voltages at the individual batteries? That low a voltage under charge (are you first testing with charging from AC before connecting to solar?) is an indicator of either all batteries damaged or near end of life or else one or more shorted cells somewhere in the pack. Each shorted cell will lower the stack voltage by a bit more than 2V.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

You may need to go to 60V to fully charge them in a day.

I second the suggestion to measure each battery and see if there is a dud in there.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Hi thanks for the replies. System is new and only Been I stalled a week ago. Checked each cell and all are the same voltage of 2.01v . Will try to charge at 60v from utility today. I have tried changing from Solar panels by leaving the load on utility but same result. I have had a meter across the pack to ensure it's not the digital display. I will give it a few more days to see if I can get batteries higher before calling back the installation company thanks again

Comment

Before you change any settings, you MUST read the battery mfg's specifications for charging their battery. All you can get from random posts on the internet, is random answers. Only the Battery Mfg can tell you what the proper charging regime is for their battery.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Batteries are 6pzs750 1125 documents states 150a start and 38a end

Comment

Are the solar panels stringed in serie or in parallel ?

If in parallel , they probably might only provide 25-45 Volts to the inverter .

Comment

Reading some voltronic controller (5k) inverter datasheet ,
                a MPP-Tracker range of 60-115 Vdc and Circuit voltage of 145 Volts-DC is printed there .
                Input current up to 80 Amps-DC .

One could assume , that the strings are 2 or 3 modules and 4 or 6 in numbers .

2 standard 60-cell modules would deliver somewhere between at 25-50 V around 50 to 100 Volts ,
                3 standard 60-cell modules would deliver between 75 and 150 Volts .

If the inverter does not deliver outside it's MPPT-voltage-input , than there could be the problem , that either
                the attached strings are too short or too long .

Furthermore , there seems to be also a 24-V version of this 5k inverter .

Comment

Hi all I changed peramiters to charge off of Utility and Solar and batteries charged to 54 v. Which is a little better. We are on a 230v system. During the day the 12 panels get to produce around 98v dc. Attached is the model details that show 48v system. Will try charging of utility and solar again tomorrow to see if I can get to 56v

Comment

System label
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X