Number two
    Attached Files

Comment

Number 3
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NewBostonConst View Post
        sorry forgot the decimal, thus meant to say under .7.... it was .67
        I had an error too - that was a 50 Pa blower door pressure, not 50 kPa.

Thanx for the info. Almost too tight ? Any moisture/odor/other problems ?

Comment

OK, looking at the photos, no ceiling insulation and effectively one side (the door) uninsulated, active solar thermal will not be worth the cost. Basically, solar space heating needs to start with a low heat load. You do not now and likely never will get the building loss low enough to make solar practical or possible much less cost effective until you add a lot of ceiling/overhead insulation and get an insulated door. Until then, use fossil fuel for space heat. I'd give up on slab heating w/out doing at least perimeter insulation, and questionable even then. Later, and if you feel like tinkering, add home made air cooled active solar collectors as a adjunct/hobby, but don't expect it to put a big dent in the heat load until more insulation.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
            OK, looking at the photos, no ceiling insulation and effectively one side (the door) uninsulated, active solar thermal will not be worth the cost. Basically, solar space heating needs to start with a low heat load. You do not now and likely never will get the building loss low enough to make solar practical or possible much less cost effective until you add a lot of ceiling/overhead insulation and get an insulated door. Until then, use fossil fuel for space heat. I'd give up on slab heating w/out doing at least perimeter insulation, and questionable even then. Later, and if you feel like tinkering, add home made air cooled active solar collectors as a adjunct/hobby, but don't expect it to put a big dent in the heat load until more insulation.
            Of course I need over head insulation, I am fully aware of this. It has just not complete yet.

Comment

I live in the snowy north and have a 20KW solar system. We don't get enough solar in the winter months to heat a dog house. I also have a 40 x 40 garage and decided to heat it with a ceiling mounted high efficiency propane unit heater. Don't remember the cost but it was quite a bit lower cost than buying a boiler to heat an in floor tubing system ( floor slab has pex tubing and is fully wrapped with 2" insulation). I turn the heat on probably 30% of the time in the winter and it costs me probably less than $400 in propane.

Good luck with your project!

PS: With the floor slab so well insulated I have no problems working/laying on the floor during projects!

Comment

Originally posted by Truenorth
                I also have a 40 x 40 garage and decided to heat it with a ceiling mounted high efficiency propane unit heater. Don't remember the cost but it was quite a bit lower cost than buying a boiler to heat an in floor tubing system ( floor slab has pex tubing and is fully wrapped with 2" insulation). I turn the heat on probably 30% of the time in the winter and it costs me probably less than $400 in propane.

PS: With the floor slab so well insulated I have no problems working/laying on the floor during projects!
                I let the garage be pretty cool most of the time. When work is to be done, I use a blast of propane heat
                to bring it up to 60 something. The furnace is a wall mount without a chimney, so there is no air going out
                when it is idle. I am contemplating using a larger mini split heat pump to limit the max temp extreme all
                year. I use this tool to eliminate lying on the floor. Bruce Roe

79onLift.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post

I let the garage be pretty cool most of the time. When work is to be done, I use a blast of propane heat
                  to bring it up to 60 something. The furnace is a wall mount without a chimney, so there is no air going out
                  when it is idle. I am contemplating using a larger mini split heat pump to limit the max temp extreme all
                  year. I use this tool to eliminate lying on the floor. Bruce Roe

79onLift.jpg
                  Given the cost of a heat pump and what the heat sieve characteristics of the garage look like, and the probably cold, 4,000 lbm block of automobile in it, I'd consider a salamander heater blowing in the area where I was working and not try to get too fancy or complicated about it. But, not my garage/car/whatever. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                    Given the cost of a heat pump and what the heat sieve characteristics of
                    the garage look like, and the probably cold, 4,000 lbm block of automobile in it, I'd consider
                    a salamander heater blowing in the area where I was working and not try to get too fancy or
                    complicated about it. But, not my garage/car/whatever. Just sayin'.
                    That might be the thing to do in the shed, which has no heat and no insulation. This building
                    is doubled walled with some insulation (not really enough) so the cost to briefly bump it to
                    working temp is not too high. The heating system has already gone through some
                    evolution over the original rather poor efficiency. The heat pump would be a bit of a luxury
                    for summer cooling, and keeping winter long temps at least above freezing. But it is looking
                    like I will have the KWH to spare, and this latest generation of heat pump lends itself to
                    cheap DIY installation and cheap operation. Most of my IC engines live there, and they
                    behave better when not taken to extreme cold. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                      Most of my IC engines live there, and they behave better when not taken to extreme cold. Bruce Roe
                      Well then, your enabling your vehicles to behave like a bunch of spoiled pussies if they can't take a little chill 1X/awhile !

Comment

Hello I am from Jakarta Indonesia, tried registering a few times but weirdly the system keeps rejecting my subsequent logins. Hopefully it is working now.

Lookign forward for the admins to approve my account so I can start new threads!

Happy new year everybody

Comment

Working...
                        X