X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExtraordiNary
    • Sep 2018

Breakers

Can I use a reconditioned breaker on a job or does it have to be UL approve. At what point can I not use a breaker on a job. Dealing with a strict AHJ
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by ExtraordiNary
    . Dealing with a strict AHJ
    Kind of a silly question you already answered. You are going to use a breaker listed for the intended purpose. Kind of like asking a doctor if you should smoke.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• ExtraordiNary
      • Sep 2018

Again nabcep question basically asking that you are doing a job and about to finish but all they gave you was a reconditioned breaker do you use it or wait four weeks to order one that's UL listed. I have been installing solar for five years. I get install part I guess I just got to get better at the why am I doing what I am doing, if that makes since.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ExtraordiNary
        Again nabcep question basically asking that you are doing a job and about to finish but all they gave you was a reconditioned breaker do you use it or wait four weeks to order one that's UL listed. I have been installing solar for five years. I get install part I guess I just got to get better at the why am I doing what I am doing, if that makes since.
        Based on my 40 year experience. Most AHJ's never cut corners and don't care how long it takes someone to finish a project as long as it meets their approval.

Comment

• sdold
          • Jun 2014

Does reconditioning invalidate the UL listing? Seems like that would be the answer, but I don't know.

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

If there is a visible UL imprint on the breaker and nothing indicating it's invalid, how would someone know it's been reconditioned ?
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• foo1bar
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2014

The one situation I can think of where someone would want to use a reconditioned breaker is where the breakers aren't readily available - like a Federal Pacific breaker.
              If it's that (or something very similar to that) I would not want a reconditioned breaker.

But like Mike said above - if there's a UL imprint on it - how would an inspector know it's reconditioned?

Comment

• ExtraordiNary
                • Sep 2018

Great feedback guys. I guess this is why the NABCEP professional test is so difficult is that the test taker has to answer the question according to what NABCNP whats not what is practical.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by foo1bar
                  The one situation I can think of where someone would want to use a reconditioned breaker is where the breakers aren't readily available - like a Federal Pacific breaker.
                  If it's that (or something very similar to that) I would not want a reconditioned breaker.

But like Mike said above - if there's a UL imprint on it - how would an inspector know it's reconditioned?
                  One avenue that might be explored might be to find out under what, if any, conditions does the NEC allow reconditioned equipment - in this case breakers - to be used ?

Comment

• foo1bar
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                    One avenue that might be explored might be to find out under what, if any, conditions does the NEC allow reconditioned equipment - in this case breakers - to be used ?
                    2017 NEC has added this section:

"110.21(A)(2) Reconditioned Equipment. Reconditioned equipment shall be marked with the name, trademark, or other descriptive marking by which the organization responsible for reconditioning the electrical equipment can be identified, along with the date of the reconditioning.

Reconditioned equipment shall be identified as

Comment

Working...