X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Houston Bus RV Conversion

Hi folks,

I live in the Houston area, and have started my own school bus RV conversion. I had been planning on buying a camper/travel trailer/rv for some time, but after Harvey hit, I realized I wanted something a bit more robust, that would fit my family better if/when we need to evacuate the area. I purchased an old school bus and have started the conversion process a little bit each weekend and when I have spare time. I plan on adding a solar system to run the "house" electrical system, and have started purchasing equipment for that when I find a good deal. Although I have taken a few electrical classes in the course of my engineering degree, I am more mechanically minded, and was looking for those more versed than I am with Ohm's law.

I look forward to learning a lot from this forum.

~Alf
    ~Alf

I suggest researching the systems commonly used by RVers. In general this involves an extra deep discharge
    battery with a battery isolator, and a generator for heavy stuff. Use propane for big heat stuff. Solar is not going
    to be a primary source. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
      I suggest researching the systems commonly used by RVers. In general this involves an extra deep discharge
      battery with a battery isolator, and a generator for heavy stuff. Use propane for big heat stuff. Solar is not going
      to be a primary source. Bruce Roe
      Thank you, I plan to run all my heating/cooking needs from propane or diesel. I am planning on running about 1000w of PV panels, and I keep going back and forth between 12v and 24v for the battery bank. If I go 12v, I can charge off the alternator as well, but I know 24v would allow thinner wiring. I already have the panels, and an unfortunately oversized 12v inverter which I may sell. Lots of good information and knowledgeable folks in this forum.

Thanks,

~Alf
      ~Alf

Comment

Originally posted by djdalfaro View Post
        Thank you, I plan to run all my heating/cooking needs from propane or diesel.
        Be smart and whichever fuel you decide upon is also used for a Generator. LPG would likely be a better choice especially on the gulf coast.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
        X