X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from chicago

Hi All

Excited to join in the forum to read through everybody's experiences and looks like tons of advise. Wish had come across the forum earlier when I was researching the systems and options.

We should be getting solar roof mounted system installed in a week from now. Its a 7.92 kW 24 Panasonic HIT 330 watt panels and Solaredge 7.6kW HD Wave inverter for about 10000 KWh/year production.

Didn't have any exposure with solar but wanted to investigate options of a DIY install where I can hire a roofer and licensed electrician to do the work but couldn't find any who was willing to just do the installation part. The renewal energy credits require the installation to be done by NABCEP certified installers and those who have taken certifications want to sell the entire package.

Anyways.. long story short, hired a local contractor for a all in deal of 20000 for this system. With federal tax credits and the renewal energy credits, the net cost should come down to about ~4-6k when all is said and done (not sure on how uncle sam is going to treat the renewal energy credits). Hope we did alright on pricing. Excited to take the solar plunge.

G.

Which renewal energy credits do you believe require installation done by NABCEP certified installers ?

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
      Which renewal energy credits do you believe require installation done by NABCEP certified installers ?
      Illinois SRECs. I should have mentioned, that's what was told to me by couple of installers, i am pretty sure to dissuade me from going DIY route. Couldn't find much information online. With amount of fedral credits and SRECs, i believe DIY install would have been cheaper but I couldn't find anyone to help anyways so moot point now.

Comment

Good luck, let us know if you figure out the SRECs in ILL. Net metering like mine I presume, April 1
        reset date. You pretty much missed the best production months of April through Sept, but there is
        always next year. Dec could be down to 1/3 of June or less depending on weather. And snow will
        take away additional days, keeping snow cleared off this ground mount is a regular event.
        Bruce Roe by Rockford

Comment

Working...
        X