X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlfredW
    • Aug 2018

"How does a 9v charger work on a 12v battery ?"

Well that was my first thought. But then I figured that there is so much I don't know about solar chargers that this was just one other thing I don't know about.

So this charger wont work on a 12v battery?
    THey sell them as a package.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Wait, Are you talking Fence Charger or Battery Charger ??

I thought you were telling us what the Fence charger specs were. Now I can read it as a Solar PV panel. It's for charging a 6V battery. It cannot charge a 12V battery.

Does the Fence charger run on 6V or 12V
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• AlfredW
        • Aug 2018

Sorry,
        I was switching back and forth talking about both the fence charger and the solar panel that came with the battery.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by AlfredW

Still need to figure out how much solar I will need to replace what the fencer draws.

THanks for the help. and for any further input.
          Like I said earlier a 10 watt panel and 10 AH battery would have been over kill. Now at 105 AH you are talking serious money and now need a 100 to 150 watt panel just to maintain the battery. Your fence charger consumes .1 watt x 24 hours = 2.4 watt hours per day. That only requires a 2 watt panel and a 12 volt 2 AH battery and the battery would last 10 days without a charge.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• AlfredW
            • Aug 2018

"Now at 105 AH you are talking serious money and now need a 100 to 150 watt panel just to maintain the battery."

Why would I need a 100 or 150 watt panel just to maintain the battery.
            If the fence charger only draws a small amount, then wouldn;t I only need enough to replace what the fence draws?
            And the battery simply providing a back up for if there is a long period of bad weather?

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Batteries have internal self discharge losses. Larger batteries have larger losses, so a larger panel is needed to overcome the internal losses.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• AlfredW
                • Aug 2018

So I am better off using the smallest battery that will do the job?

Comment

• AlfredW
                  • Aug 2018

So I was just out at the beehives and I put a tester on the solar panel and it was putting out 18v according to my multi meter. So I am confused about that
                  The spec sheet says 9v
                  the title on the spec sheet says that it is for a 12v
                  then the multi meter says 18v.

????

But it does seem to be keeping the 12 AH battery charged, at least for the last few days. The battery read more than 12v it was 12,something something.... next time I will write it down.Ill be out there tomorrow to do actual beekeeping chores.

Comment

Working...