X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy from Texas!

After some number crunching, no matter how I cut it, solar just doesn't make financial sense for me (or most people in Texas). I've been paying about 4c/kwh ( plus pass through charges so about 8c/kwh total) for the past 2.5 years. I'm locked in at 4.2c/kwh for another 2 years (on a 3 year contract). Even at the peak of summer, I'm finding 2-3 year plans at 4.5c/kwh. These prices are so low that solar just doesn't make sense, even though I've received some low quotes ($2.90/watt for premium panels). I began looking into solar about 3 years ago when we moved into our new home and energy rates have remained very low, much lower than all of the projections provided by the solar companies estimates, shocking I know.

I really want solar to be a financially sound decision, if solar prices keep dropping maybe we will see that become the case before the end of next year! I can dream. Having to rely on net metering is a major crutch though (who know how much longer it will still be around, it's undergoing changes in other states).

Hello Ahhmaheyes and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

I understand that sometimes a solar installation does not make financial sense. I live in Florida and even though the cost to install has come down I still calculate over 10 years for any payback so I have put off my install until I can find a way to make it less costly and have a faster payback.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahhmaheyes View Post
      After some number crunching, no matter how I cut it, solar just doesn't make financial sense for me (or most people in Texas). I've been paying about 4c/kwh ( plus pass through charges so about 8c/kwh total) for the past 2.5 years. I'm locked in at 4.2c/kwh for another 2 years (on a 3 year contract). Even at the peak of summer, I'm finding 2-3 year plans at 4.5c/kwh. These prices are so low that solar just doesn't make sense, even though I've received some low quotes ($2.90/watt for premium panels). I began looking into solar about 3 years ago when we moved into our new home and energy rates have remained very low, much lower than all of the projections provided by the solar companies estimates, shocking I know.

I really want solar to be a financially sound decision, if solar prices keep dropping maybe we will see that become the case before the end of next year! I can dream. Having to rely on net metering is a major crutch though (who know how much longer it will still be around, it's undergoing changes in other states).
      At those rates, it'll be a long time before PV pays for itself. I wouldn't bet on either the cost of PV coming down much more, or utility rates, particularly in TX going up enough to make PV a competitive alternate investment to other things you could do with the financial assets you would use to finance the PV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahhmaheyes View Post
        After some number crunching, no matter how I cut it, solar just doesn't make financial sense for me (or most people in Texas).
        Solar is STUPID in TX because TX is smart and has good energy policies. I can hear the folks in CA screaming right now wishing they could pay 8-cents per Kwh and gets cheaper if you use more than 2000 Kwh per month.

Why on earth would you want solar. In TX and many states means you just gave your self a rate increase which is STUPID.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
        X