X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nomadros
    • May 2018

hello from Catalunya

Just joined. My name is Neil. I'm from Scotland and live in my truck, in a forest, half way up a mountain in Catalunya
    I'm just about to start my first solar project for my small field house.
    Last edited by nomadros; 05-28-2018, 07:07 AM. Reason: you don't get much space!
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Hello nomadros and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

I am sure other members will help you but you should first determine how many Watt hours you need each day to cover your loads.

Comment

• nomadros
      • May 2018

Thanks for the welcome SunEagle. Just doing that now. I've found a Spanish Web site that sells kits ( no names obviously) and for each kit it tells you what you should be able to run and for how many hours a day by watt. This is my first time so it's good to get a feel for what I can expect for how much cash. This forum has some great info so I'll keep digging until I get stuck!

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

I would caution you on what the sellers of those Kits tell you. They usually state you will get much more then it can really produce.

We can help you build a system which IMO would probably be cheaper and better then most of those kits.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by nomadros
          I've found a Spanish Web site that sells kits ( no names obviously) and for each kit it tells you what you should be able to run and for how many hours a day by watt.
          Do not fall for that line of BS. That line is to get your money and trapped. Keep in mind for off-grid solar to work, you must have full sun, with no shade issues from Sunrise to Sunset. That includes fog and clouds.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• nomadros
            • May 2018

Thanks....once I understand a bit more I'll be asking big time. I've spent 3 years living in my truck and it's not an RV so a wood burner, a candle and a roof will be luxuries for me. The main problem here is spare parts and deliveries. I'll size my WH and then show and tell what I'm thinking of buying based on what I can source. Example: 12v deep cycle batteries are all that are sold locally. They don't do the Internet for shopping in Spain. This is my tester project to gain knowledge for my big beast project next year.
            ​​​​

Comment

• littleharbor
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2016

If there are any golf courses around you might be able to source 6 volt golf cart batteries. Highly recommended over 12 volt batteries.
              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• nomadros
                • May 2018

Originally posted by littleharbor
                If there are any golf courses around you might be able to source 6 volt golf cart batteries. Highly recommended over 12 volt batteries.

Yeah, there is a course but it doesn't use carts. I'm at 500m above sea level at the junction between two centuries. 14kms away on the coast where it's the 21st century, there are many super yacht supply shops that sell batteries, but that's Rolex territory. 14kms away on the other side it's the 19th century. The 2 shops that sell batteries, sell the same POS stock they've been selling for the last 5 years, so that's out. On-line, the best prices are for 12v batteries because that's what they sell most. I'm pricing a 12v system and a 24v system. 48v prices just make me cry. Anyway, I'll start a thread in a bit with what I feel I need. I'm basing the design on my worst month scenarios....
                November > dense fog for 10 days straight.
                February > snow and ice storms.
                Any month my girlfriend shows up with her hair dryer

Comment

• littleharbor
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2016

24 and 48 volt systems aren't necessarily more expensive. If you need to run parallel strings of batteries that would be a reason to up the voltage. 99% of charge controllers will do at least 12 and 24 volt charging. Of course if you have to replace your inverter it will cost you. If starting from scratch you would find 12 and 24 volt inverters aren't much different coastwise There are wide variations in inverter pricing, yes, but those variations are because of quality level, not the voltage they run at. 48 volt inverters aren't necessarily more expensive either.though you need more battery, obviously. With a 48 volt system you would at least be able to run 4 of those 12 volt batteries in series. Two strings can be managed. anything higher than that is where you ensure uneven charging issues.

Maybe you can convince the girlfriend to get a new short hairstyle Less blow dryer time with one

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

If my girl friend was prone to show up with a blow dryer, I'd have a spare can of diesel for the generator handy at all times.

Those foul weather days, you are going to need a generator for. Or flatten the batteries and ruin them.
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• nomadros
                      • May 2018

Been quiet because.....
                      out here in the forests of Catalunya, the biggest danger to life is public servants. There are packs of the roaming everywhere! Anyway before I can install any system of 4 panels I have to get a permit. If I do an install on my roof, I need a local permit (2-3 months). If I do an install on the ground I need a different permit and a "project" and an architect and central government approval (7 months). As to the specification I will probably have to buy an off the shelf approved system installed by an approved, registered installer. I'll let you guys know how I get on.

Comment

• tyab
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2016

Sounds much easier and less expensive to just run a generator when you need it...

Comment

• nomadros
                          • May 2018

In a normal.world a generator yeah, however where I live everything is protected by law...the rock walls, the pine trees and most of all, the bl***y eagles. Me, I'm just chopped liver, so regarding a generator, I can only use one 15th October to 31st January. After 31 Jan, it's noise pollution and will disturb the eagles and after 15th June it's a fire risk and banned. I'll solicit a permit for panels which will keep assorted rangers, firefighters, department of agriculture types and the myriad environmentalists at bay.

Comment

• littleharbor
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by nomadros
                            In a normal.world a generator yeah, however where I live everything is protected by law...the rock walls, the pine trees and most of all, the bl***y eagles. Me, I'm just chopped liver, so regarding a generator, I can only use one 15th October to 31st January. After 31 Jan, it's noise pollution and will disturb the eagles and after 15th June it's a fire risk and banned. I'll solicit a permit for panels which will keep assorted rangers, firefighters, department of agriculture types and the myriad environmentalists at bay.
                            I had to go back and reread your introduction to make sure you're not in California. I didn't realize other places had rules like ours.

Comment

Working...