X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D.r.Dimensional
    • Apr 2018

Newbie needing some tips.

So my current set up is displayed in my about section.

My question is why doesnt my laptop seem to want register below 12.72v when it used to register lower before cut off, why is this??

Im currently using a program called HW monitor to keep a eye on things tell i get the comm cable for the charge controller. I have used this program ever sense i got the laptop, and it works fine.
    My problem is that i used to be able to get power out of my battery all the way to 12.2v even 11.9v if i really felt like i needed it. Why the change on power cut off??? what could have caused this??
    Things that have change:gone from winter to spring to summer and i live on Vancouver island, so lots more nice weather which makes me wonder more.. my inverter has recently been doing its regular low voltage power shut off sign and always between 12.7v-12.8v just charging my laptop while trying to run a show sends cutoff signal to the inverter and it flips on/off/on. i can seem to play games mid day while the sun is on my panel tell the sun drops and i hit below 12.7v. why would the cut off level change like that, what might cause it, how can this help to be prevented in the future.

Thanks for reading this is my first post online in a while.
    Any questions or more information needed, please let me know how to get you that information.
    single 285 watt mono, wired to 30amp MPPT charge controller which wires to one 120ah 12 volt battery, 100 watt B&D inverter powers Laptop battery charger
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Sometimes, parts just age, and a cheap B&D inverter may be giving some fits because, I suspect it is mod-sine, and your laptop charger may be getting really hot on it.

PS - I updated your s.sig so that not everyone has to go to your about page
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• littleharbor
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250
      PS - I updated your s.sig so that not everyone has to go to your about page

That's about 3 times the space I was allowed in my Sig. Can you update mine??
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Matrix
        Solar Fanatic
        • Oct 2017

And Mine too .... ha ha ha ...
        285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

• D.r.Dimensional
          • Apr 2018

I was thinking it was my inverter, iis their a forum set up for talking asking about inverter laptop integration( specifically about laptop battery conditioning and usage with a battery bank system? Thanks for the update too, it seems useful to have all info regarding my setup described below the comment with out having to type it every time.
          single 285 watt mono, wired to 30amp MPPT charge controller which wires to one 120ah 12 volt battery, 100 watt B&D inverter powers Laptop battery charger

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

If you can, plug the laptop into a real AC outlet at starbucks or something, for a couple hours and see what the battery recovers to. At this point, all I can suggest is change the mod-sine inverter for a pure sine, feed the laptop supply the proper power for a couple hours and see how it goes
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• D.r.Dimensional
              • Apr 2018

Ive been doing my own ratio's from inside a library compared to off the grid(offgrid>library, greater damage off grid) but i think that is only when i plug into my inverter. The outlet at library has more then enough to power the laptop. So my guess is low power voltage coming from battery to inverter which doesnt match what the laptop requires. ive heard you need a 19v+ battery bank system to run laptops due to power needed, but ive also heard that is due to the person directly wiring the laptop charger to the battery setup.(which they then wouldnt need a inverter.) i thought about this but it seems a little absurd to go through all that trouble rather then get a 24v system and inverter.
              So my question this time is can i fix my problem by getting a pure sine inverter(i deff will eventually) or getting a second battery and doubling up to 24v using same inverter( need more batterys anyways) or try to get a 19v system setup and directly wiring laptop cable to it. which do you think would be best for laptop battery conditioning?? which one has been tested maybe to work the best for this case?
              Thanks again let my know if you need more information

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

A good inverter is designed to produce AC power at normal voltage, regardless what the battery voltage is, until the battery goes below the shutdown limit. Changing batteries, adding another battery will not change this.

And for sure, if you connect a 12V inverter to 24V of battery, the smoke will come out. That is a bad thing.

Why not try getting an automotive charger for the laptop ?

Comment

Working...