No announcement yet.

Just signed contract for sunpower x22-360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because that is what they do. That was my first thought when I saw the size of your array, would the POCO not have limits on size. Surprised your installer did not know that when you asked for a system that size. But I would guess it comes down to "who's gonna pay for the grid and connection to your house and our grid" question. I think the caps here in FL are much lower than that in some areas of the state.
    285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

Originally posted by rushclimber View Post
      They are saying that their max tier is for a 5000sf house. its like 24kw system. I assume that i generated a few more than used? they would then keep that and sell to other customers. can not figure why they are trying to limit me? Please advise with your option?
      So they'll allow a 24kW system?

That's better than many POCOs which will limit you to a 10kW (AC) system.

IMO they will want to limit you to a smaller system because
      A> every kWH that you produce is one less kWH that they sell you.
      B> They need to be able to absorb into their system all of the power coming from your house. SO if they allow 30kW systems, then they need to be sure that they can take that 30KW from you and supply it to others in the neighborhood AND beyond if necessary.

Comment

Any idea why duke power of the carolina would limit the size of my pv system?
        Yes, several.

Distributed generation is a PITA for the POCO to manage/accommodate.

Dealing with that accommodation also takes resources away from other needs. That costs money.

Distributed PV takes revenue away from the POCO.

Don't think for 1 hot second that if POCOs were not mandated to allow net metering that they would allow it. It's a very poor business model.

Comment

I expect Duke will gladly let you hook up a much larger system. The one big "if" is they will require you to step up and play with the big boys and go with a standard interconnect. This will require an interconnect study which you pay for to make sure that your system does not have any system impacts. Once the study is done they will submit an estimated cost for them to upgrade their system to make it safe to interconnect your system to the grid. They may require a Direct Transfer Trip system installed and possibly other substation upgrades. If the hurdle is not enough they will pay you standard generation rates which are far less favorable to net metering.

In order to encourage small PV, regulators forced the utilities to put in exceptions to their standards and as others have mentioned you are lucky the utility will allow you to install even a 24KW system, Many have a 10 KW limit.

Comment

My solar contractor said that if duke turns down the request, then if i install a separate meter to my garage, then i could install the 32.4KW.
            The home currently has 600amp service, 200amp service in garage. I would prefer not going with two meters because that will mean that i will have to pay two grid connection fees. I think its crazy to add a meter, when my current situation is tailored to handle my requirements.

Comment

My solar contractor said that if duke turns down the request, then if i install a separate meter to my garage, then i could install the 32.4KW.
              The home currently has 600amp service, 200amp service in garage. I would prefer not going with two meters because that will mean that i will have to pay two grid connection fees. I think its crazy to add a meter, when my current situation is tailored to handle my requirements.
              Their grid, their rules.

Comment

Just to ask, how much is the grid connection fee? One time or recurring? If you have or plan to get an electric car might there be incentives to having a separate meter with a different rate plan for electric car charging?

Comment

In north carolina, we just pay 10-11 cents per kilowatt, no teer charging.The connection fee is like 15 per meter. not a huge deal, but principal in my account. I do not need separate meters, like i said, i have 600 amp service.

Comment

$0.11/kWh is total cost? Look at bill & take total paid, divided by total kWh used.

Comment

.09736 per KWH last bill. Plus 7% nc sales tax.

It appears that I am going to get the 32.4 kw system approved, with using 1 meter.

Comment

In north carolina, we just pay 10-11 cents per kilowatt, no teer charging.The connection fee is like 15 per meter. not a huge deal, but principal in my account. I do not need separate meters, like i said, i have 600 amp service.
                        Welfare for the rich.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

In Arizona the new rate changes this year with APS POCO we pay 24 cents kWh for on peak 3pm to 8pm Monday thru friday , Saturday and Sundays are off peak 11 cents kWh and there are 10 holidays that are off peak 11 kWh cents , We pay 3 kWh cents for Super off peak 10am to 3pm which runs November 1st to the end of April. So you can see the 3pm to 8pm will screw solar customers ( It was 12-7) but we have a corrupt corporation commision here where the POCO bribed - gave money to 3 of the 4 members who voted for these changes . But I think they should be able to squeeze a couple more different time periods in there also say have a 16 cents kWh for a Blue moon or when the wind is blowing a certain way charge 20 cents kWh , lol How about just a flat kWh charge across the board and stop all this Time Of Use crap.
                          9.36 grid tied, Phoenix Arizona

Comment

IMG_6109.jpg My sunpower 32.4 kw just finished the install yesterday. Total 90 x22-360 panels
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rushclimber
                              My sunpower 32.4 kw just finished the install yesterday. Total 90 x22-360 panels
                              Looks good, and using only one meter. What direction is your array facing, are
                              you using micro inverters? Equipment pictures? Bruce Roe

Comment

They ran another 200 amp to pick up 64 penels on garage. Ran that to where power enters the house. I added a picture of 5 panels on end of house. I am facing 220, and these are A?C panels, so yes micro inverters.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X