X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member Just Saying Hello

thank you, everyone. I am excited to hear all new stories and expand my knowledge of the solar industry. here's a little about myself, I am a Marine Corps Veteran recently converted to civilian life, just finished my 2 years at a community college in the field of avionics (helicopter pilot). I am attempting to start a solar company. figured to get in touch with some you guys to help me out with my education of solar energy. I am learning solar but I am fascinated with Wind turbine energy, (Hybrid kits mostly)

Hello! I'm a new member as well. How in the world were you able to add a new topic? I don't anywhere at all that I can click and add a topic. Let me know. Thanks!

Comment

HOS2S, thank you for your service and welcome, you'll find a lot of good, vetted information here from the pros who frequent the board. As a fixed wing pilot I have a lot of respect for helicopter pilots!

Tajalazy, welcome and please hang in there, it can take a few days sometimes for the admins to give the final approval. We've had to tighten up security due to a flood of spammers infiltrating the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by HOS2S View Post
        thank you, everyone. I am excited to hear all new stories and expand my knowledge of the solar industry. here's a little about myself, I am a Marine Corps Veteran recently converted to civilian life, just finished my 2 years at a community college in the field of avionics (helicopter pilot). I am attempting to start a solar company. figured to get in touch with some you guys to help me out with my education of solar energy. I am learning solar but I am fascinated with Wind turbine energy, (Hybrid kits mostly)
        Welcome aboard. Respectfully suggest that if you haven't done so already you consider learning the basics of energy, and then how that relates to renewable energy from the deck up and then fill in the cracks with info here. You'll learn more, faster.

Lots of good stuff here and some stuff that wouldn't qualify as bilge water. Self info will help separate the two faster.

Comment

[QUOTE=sdold;n373300]HOS2S, thank you for your service and welcome, you'll find a lot of good, vetted information here from the pros who frequent the board. As a fixed wing pilot I have a lot of respect for helicopter pilots!

It was a tough ride learning to fly helicopters. Still learning, working on my commercial cert now.

And to all: thank you for the welcome here.

Solar Fanatic: I have some history in D/C electricity Mostly Automobiles. not much history with inverters. i have noticed most retailers are selling products with a 40% + mark up in their prices. i understand that the smaller systems are overly priced. like there is a 300w vertical windmill for X on amazon. i am able to retrieve the same one but in a 400W from a dealer and not have the 40% market because of my process in drop shipping. (but this isn't a business forum). there are a lot of systems out there from 12V/24/48V. i will be researching the benefits and disadvantages of each in the coming weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Welcome aboard. Respectfully suggest that if you haven't done so already you consider learning the basics of energy, and then how that relates to renewable energy from the deck up and then fill in the cracks with info here. You'll learn more, faster.

Lots of good stuff here and some stuff that wouldn't qualify as bilge water. Self info will help separate the two faster.
            JPM I would like to speak with you can you send me a message since I don't have those capabilities? Thanks, appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by tindustries View Post

JPM I would like to speak with you can you send me a message since I don't have those capabilities? Thanks, appreciate it.
              I don't either. There is no private messaging on this forum.

Besides, I'm kind of private with not much to talk about beyond mechanical engineering endeavors around here anyway. No offense.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

I don't either. There is no private messaging on this forum.

Besides, I'm kind of private with not much to talk about beyond mechanical engineering endeavors around here anyway. No offense.
                I understand, but what I'm speaking of is an opportunity and requires you to get out of your comfort zone a little bit. I require your engineering intelligence and solar knowledge in general. My number is 507-722-9832 I would love to send you some details and see if you're interested or not, thanks man. I won't leave my number on here for longer than 6 hours so if I hear from you great, if not great as well. I can't believe this forum doesn't offer those capabilities. But nonetheless this is a great website

Comment

Originally posted by tindustries View Post

I understand, but what I'm speaking of is an opportunity and requires you to get out of your comfort zone a little bit. I require your engineering intelligence and solar knowledge in general. My number is 507-722-9832 I would love to send you some details and see if you're interested or not, thanks man. I won't leave my number on here for longer than 6 hours so if I hear from you great, if not great as well. I can't believe this forum doesn't offer those capabilities. But nonetheless this is a great website
                  R.U.A. (Read, Understood, Acknowledged)

Again, no offense. and to add, if I was to get involved with anyone I could think of few better to do it with than retired USMC. Full stop.

But, I've been retired from the engineering profession for 15+ years, and I retired my license 10+ years ago. If nothing else, my professional engineering knowledge is at least 10 years old and, without a license, not only useless for legal purposes, but possibly dangerously out of date.

As for my comfort zone, it's fine but has been stretched wide by an engineering career of decision making that included, for example, more 3 A.M. wake up "oh ****" moments than I'd care to recall. I'm now down to a comfort zone that contains more time than money and more money than brains. I see no need to disturb it.

As for what this forum may or may not offer to readers, IMO only, and respectfully, and meant as friendly advice, it is not a place I'd consider from which to get reliable engineering information that is sound enough to make safe and fit for purpose engineering decisions from. More of an informal information exchange for homeowners and DIY'ers, a sales tool for a few of the regular posters who use it to soft sell but still hype their PV products, and an income producing lead generator for the forum owners. Believe or at least consider the limitations and consequences for taking what's offered here as gospel.

Good luck.

Respectfully,

J.P.M.
                  Last edited by J.P.M.; 03-21-2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Hello to everybody! and sorry to write it here. It seems like I can't PM an admin.
                    This is my third registration. First two attempts ended in my account being deleted instead of being approved I understand that there are lots of spammers this days but this filter is a little bit on the rough side

Comment

Originally posted by ghrt View Post
                      Hello to everybody! and sorry to write it here. It seems like I can't PM an admin.
                      This is my third registration. First two attempts ended in my account being deleted instead of being approved I understand that there are lots of spammers this days but this filter is a little bit on the rough side
                      I don't know about the others, but this post doesn't seem spammy at all. Welcome, sorry about the rough entry,

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thanks Mike for your reply, but unfortunately I was kicked out again. The above post you had approved was my only activity, apart from reading the forums. And I'm not a spammer at all, just a sailor who want to use solar and LiFePo4 and has nothing to sell. Why is this keeps on happening?!

Comment

Looking forward to participating in info exchange, but I have the same newbie question as tajalazy above... How in the world can I add a new topic?

I registered, logged in, then couldn't figure out how to post a question. I clicked HELP at the bottom of the Home screen, and went to Creating Forum Topics which said "To create a new topic click on the +New Topic button when browsing a forum or group. You will be presented with a screen where you must give a title (or subject) of the topic ..."

But cannot find a "+New Topic" button, nothing that opens a new screen requesting I "give a title (or subject) of the topic". I tried clicking on the NEW Topic from the choices" which doesn't do much either. In desperation, I am posting a reply here, since it appears that at least one other newbie is having the same issue, but really want to know how to start a new discussion topic.
                          ??? HELP!!!

Comment

BuddLakeSE SE

Your membership is in the Que for approval by our Admin. Once that happens you should be able to make new posts.

By the way. Welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

Comment

SunEagle, thanks for the explanation.

To all,

As way of intro...
                              I own (not lease) a grid-tied 9.3kW system, with 27 x SunPower X21-345w modules, SolarEdge Optimizers and inverter (SE6700).
                              The install was completed in early December 2014, but it took the local utility until mid-January 2015 to install the net metering for official startup.

(BTW, I would have joined solarpaneltalk.com back then, but just discovered it!)

Annual Production so far has been: 10.5MWh (2015), 11.0MWh (2016), 10.0MWh (2017).
                              Only a guess, but I suspect the 9-10% dropoff last year was mainly weather related - it was a really overcast winter (and continues to be in 2018 ).

Besides the FIT tax credit and a much lower monthly electric bill, in NJ we get awarded 1 SREC (Solar Renewable Energy Certificate) for each MWh we produce.
                              SRECs can then be sold on a PJM-run marketplace - current bid price (today) is $225 per, although it can vary quite a bit (e.g. $172 last October).

I expected and still hope to get ROI in the first 6-7 years, and after that it's all gravy. Of course, if new models of panels hit 35% efficiency, I'll consider upgrading, but ...

Comment

Working...
                              X