X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1dog1van
    • Mar 2018

A newbies introduction: educate me please

I am a southern California van dweller that seeks power in his living space. I came here thinking I had a fair idea of my solar needs and quickly realized I have more questions then a clear plan.

current position: I have slapped on 2x100 watt flex panels by windy nation to my home. I've scrapped my notion of running 10 panels after reading a few sticky posts here. I realized I need to learn more before I further my investment. I'm currently still researching questions asked here but will be looking for few experienced souls for guidance.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Welcome. sadly, as you noticed, it's more complex than slapping on a couple of panels.
    First, you already have your largest generator already, the alternator built into the drivetrain engine. That 60 or 100A alternator, in half a hour of driving, will produce more than a weeks worth of the 2 solar panels you have.

Solar panels only work in full, bright sunlight. Not good if you are trying to stay cool

Mounting panels to a vehicle roof, is really tough. Sometimes the best thing is the ugliest - a roof mount luggage rack. Not a removable one, but a sturdy one, like a YMCA camp van would use to pile 12 suitcases and 16 sleeping bags onto. Then mount conventional solar rails to that and bolt the panels on as if it was a regular roof install. And remember, don't drive more than 40 mph into a 60mph headwind, that a 100 mph airspeed !

Some people use L brackets and clamps, but that can leave a lot of holes in the roof to have to seal.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• 1dog1van
      • Mar 2018

Sir, you bring up very compelling arguments on battery charging. Question: what type of battery can be used on a 2x100w solar system ( just learning about min. Voltage requirements). And can a 180 amp alternator be safely connected to said battery

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

200W of well aimed panels, can generally support 200ah of 12V battery. Van rooftop panels are less than well aimed, and I expect they will barely keep a single 12V 85ah deep cycle battery charged with daily discharge. Depth of your discharge will affect how much time required to recharge.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• 1dog1van
          • Mar 2018

The two panels are just to get started. I wasn't allowed the luxury of time when I began this life style. So one question is how many panels can I series off a 14 gauge?

as for alternator powered charge: is there any safety concerns? I'm lucky to have my van battery in the cab (floorboard). From the videos I've see, it seems simple enough minus the terminal end of a 2 gauge.

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

14ga wire is good for 15A (roughly) You can SERIES many panels on 14ga, Series increases Voltage. 2 large panels in series might be 60V (depends on the panel)
            Then you NEED a MPPT charge controller to downconvert the high voltage to battery charging voltage

Comment

• littleharbor
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2016

220 ah. 6 volt batteries, basically golf cart batteries. Have you priced them at Costco? Last I checked they were like $86.00 each
              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

A $50 to $75 Electronic Battery Isolator that allows your engine alternator to charge house batteries will generate more power in 2 hours than 500 watts of well aimed solar panels can generate in 2 days. So the first thing to do is get an Isolator before you do anything with Solar. A good Isolator will keep a rather large house battery charged and will run circles around $2000 worth of panels and charge controller. With Solar you must park where there is absolutely no shade from sunrise to sunset. Good luck with that plan in southern CA summer sun. Only place you could do that without frying is the beach, and I bet those multi-million dollar home owners along the beach will do more than welcome you. Try La Jolla area where they get great cool ocean breezes , I hear they are real nice millionaires.
                Last edited by Sunking; 03-31-2018, 05:24 PM.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• 1dog1van
                  • Mar 2018

So with a battery insulator, I do not need a controler?

why is morning star controllers better then renology rover? Or is it?

spending the night on a beach is an issue, but there's other places to spend the night

Comment

Working...