X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another newbie

Greetings

From south Mississippi,
    Interested in lowering my power bill and going renewable.
    From where I am now, I will probably do a 12 - 15 KW grid tie system?
    I will DIY because doing things like this is fun.
    Planning a ground mount system in a field close to the house because
    my house is shaded by large oak trees.
    Currently going back and forth between micro inverter and string inverter.
    Leaning towards micro inverters because 400 - 500 VDC makes me uncomfortable.

-Dave

Hi Dave, great to have you here and looking forward to reading about your project. What are you paying per kWh for power now? I used Enphase microinverters in my DIY system, but only because I had a couple of shading issues. I also thought the wiring would be more straightforward, but looking bad it wasn't enough to base the decision on.

Steve

Comment

I am paying 12 cents per kWh. If I push power on the grid, they will pay me 4.5 cents per kWh.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by magic8192 View Post
        I am paying 12 cents per kWh. If I push power on the grid, they will pay me 4.5 cents per kWh.

Dave
        Your situation is much like mine. If the power runs some distance from the panels to the PoCo meter, you
        will be much more efficient (or use a lot less copper) by running high voltage strings to inverters near the
        meter. I don't get paid here in IL, we just trade even in my class (above 10KW). Bruce Roe

Comment

Greetings

From south Mississippi,
          Interested in lowering my power bill and going renewable.
          From where I am now, I will probably do a 12 - 15 KW grid tie system?
          I will DIY because doing things like this is fun.
          Planning a ground mount system in a field close to the house because
          my house is shaded by large oak trees.

-Dave
          Just a bit of advice. A 120v AC circuit can easily kill people.

So while 500VDC may make you uncomfortable I would say that is a good reaction because most people get too complacent with 120VAC and get hurt because they do not take precautions.

Comment

I'd probably do string.

1> Can do lower current/higher voltage from array to inverters (located near the panel) - so can have smaller wires with same %loss of power
            2> Simpler
            3> Cheaper
            4> No shading concerns

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

I'd probably do string.

1> Can do lower current/higher voltage from array to inverters (located near the panel) - so can have smaller wires with same %loss of power
              2> Simpler
              3> Cheaper
              4> No shading concerns
              I would need to use DC optimizers with the string inverter?
              Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

So while 500VDC may make you uncomfortable I would say that is a good reaction because most people get too complacent with 120VAC and get hurt because they do not take precautions.
              You make a good point. 120/240 wouldn

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

You make a good point. I shouldn't discard high voltage DC considerations just because I am unfamiliar with it.

Comment

I just got the documents for the power company approval process.

- Requires an engineer from the power company and power distribution company to be present to connect to grid for the first time.
                  - I have to have $500,000 insurance for a system >10 kW
                  - Looks like I can build it myself and get inspections through each step of the process.

Comment

>> I would need to use DC optimizers with the string inverter?

Only if you have shading issues. Otherwise less electronic gear is better.
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

You make a good point. I shouldn't discard high voltage DC considerations just because I am unfamiliar with it.
                      Just treat all electrical circuits a being live and dangerous until they are tested. Also a good pair of 600V insulated electrical gloves and a reputable meter are cheap investments when you have to work on live circuits.

Comment

Working...
                      X