Newbie with some basic knowledge but still many questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with some basic knowledge but still many questions

Hi everyone! Just gtot into the forum. I'm almost ready to go off-grid, almost 90% of my house will be off-grid. Tired of the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority, is time to produce my own power. So I have some questions and will post in the appropriate area. Happy new year to everyone!

sorry for butting in on your post - but I cannot see a new topic button

Hello from Madagascar - just Had Cyclone Ava pay a visit and the Electric has been off since friday , so I have been using the solar setup for more that just security lights and thus have found some limitations

when I get a chance to post a new topic I will

Comment

Originally posted by smeee222 View Post
      sorry for butting in on your post - but I cannot see a new topic button.............
      Go to a top level forum, and on the left side is a +New Topic button :

NewTopic.jpg

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

To Moderator Mike90250: I am sorry to have to ask in this discussion, but I also can find no such thing as +New Topic on any screen. Clicking your NewTopic.jpg yields a blank page. How can I start a topic? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Since I can not figure out how to start a topic, I will ask my question here - hoping it will get posted. I have a solar panel array of about 4500 watts that actually get produced. I have no batteries, but I use 13 grid tie inverters which produce ac current directly to the power company, no batteries at all. The inverters all have MPPT, Over current protection, Over temperature protection, reverse polarity protection. They automatically disconnect if there is a power outage from the power company. My question is what is the function of MPPT when there are no batteries? Each of my inverters connects to either 2 or 3 panels in parallel. If any of these groups of panels contains a panel that is not performing, does MPPT try to correct the total voltage & current?

Comment

MPPT has nothing to do with batteries. It has everything to do with making efficient used of the sunlight hitting the panels. In the mornings, the panels may be 200V @ 2 amps, later in the day, they may be 180V @ 2.1a. Accurately tracking the panel power is what MPPT does
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thanks, Mike90250. Ok, for example what happens when there are 3 panels connected in parallel, panel 1 36.5v 5 amps, panel 2 30v 5amps, panel 3 36.5 v 5amps. They connect via 2 3-plug y's to pos and neg wires which then connect to the inverter with MPPT. I think the amperage would come out as expected at 15 amps, but what would happen to the voltage? Would it be an average of the 3 panels? Would it be the lowest voltage (30 volts)? I am asking because many times I have read that one should try to match panels as closely as possible by voltage if connected in parallel and by amperage if connected in series.

Comment

Working...
              X