X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy from Pittsburgh PA area

Thanks for the forum, what a nice resource.

Just turned 50, mechanical engineer in the power generation industry.
    Looking to expand my electrical knowledge and satisfy the needs of a project.

My project is a 12VDC system with storage batteries for a limited use garage.
    As I read and learn I am realizing a 24VDC system may make more sense . . . great info here.

12 volt works fine for small systems. Sounds like you might be using AC power so an inverter will be part of the equation.
    You need to establish your daily load requirements (for battery and solar array sizing)and maximum surge requirements ( for inverter sizing) , then design from there..
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

By my standards, I think it is a small system. I would welcome any input.

#1 - quantity six - 16ft 75 watt 12VDC LED (UL IP68) light tapes (max four hours use per day)

#2 - quantity one - garage door opener - Genie 750 chain drive with 12VDC battery back up - (max usage will be 10 times per day) Motor is rated at 3/4 hp, and will be operating approximately one minute on each event (10 times a day at the max) - it will always be operated as 12VDC - the factory battery that supports this function is 12VDC 8Ah - there must be some small current also necessary for the equipment to receive the signal from the car remote, but I do not know what that is.

Comment

Not sure about whether your GDO is designed to run exclusively on back up battery power. I believe there might be some discussion here on the forum relating to this topic. Sounds to me like you would need to replace the 8 ah. battery with a larger one if nothing else.
        Are you sure about 75 watts for a led light strip? That sounds like a lot of power for this type of led. At 75 watts per strip you're talking 1800 watt hours a day you can find energy star refrigerators that run on half of that . At this point were talking about a medium sized system.

Comment

I'm not sure how to add this topic but this might help you on the subject of garage door openers.

New Garage--How to power garage door openers

Comment

Working...
          X