X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CarolK
    • Oct 2017

Hello from Northern California

Newbe here from Humboldt County, have 7 panels with mircoinverters, and coming up on our 2 yr anniversary. Really happy that we're doing our part do reduce our carbon footprint.

So found this forum by trying to get info on how to go about cleaning them. We had very heavy ash issues from all the fires and just taking a hose isn't doing it. Any thoughts?
    Thank you in advance.
    C
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Hello CarolK and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

There have been a few threads concerning the cleaning options of solar panels. I am sure those that have found a safe and easy way to do it will respond to your request.

Comment

• cebury
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2011

Welcome

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Soft cloth and mild dish soap. Then, buy a few copies of "USA Yesterday" and use newsprint with glass cleaner. Do not use abrasives like scotchbrite pads or blades as those things will likely harm any ARC coating on glazing. Test a small area first. Several applications of blue squirtum/newspaper may be necessary. Some wood, often conifers, contains resins and/or creosote that may not be completely combusted and will stick to anything and perhaps chemically combine with glass. If you have what like fly specs that can only be removed with a razor blade, that may be what's happened. That's above my pay grade to explain however.

Depending on the nature of the fouling, if it's primarily unsightly but not too sever, it may not impair performance too much, but that'll be hard to determine quantitatively.

Whatever you do Apply water/moisture only in A. M. before the glazing heats up, otherwise you may crack it.

Add: sometimes wood ash moistened w/ a sponge and wiped over the glass will remove smoke residue. Works on glass fireplace doors, but I'm not sure that will be OK for any ARC coating. I'd call the panel mfg. and enquire before using wood ash/water as you might damage the ARC coating and also void any warranty claim. Also, make sure you're not getting charcoal mixed in w/ the wood ash as that will likely be abrasive.
        Last edited by J.P.M.; 10-08-2017, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Working...