X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from WNC

We are near the east edge of the Blue Ridges, and in the beginning of building our retirement homestead. Giving serious consideration of staying completely off grid with this project.
    I'm here to learn as much as I can....and in the few days waiting on approval I've read enough to really confuse me... LOL

Hi -

Its a rough crowd here but they will set you straight

May the force be with you -

Cheers!

Comment

Welcome to retirement. Now do yourself a favor and learn the commitment and lifestyle changes that an off grid lifestyle will require before you invest the time and money. It is not all the romance of back to nature enhanced by technology. Takes a lot of time and maintenance, and the $$ cost, both initial and ongoing may well give you angina.

Suit yourself. Just walk in with your mind and eyes open and objective, do the homework, get knowledgeable and look - really look - beyond forums, magazine articles and hucksters before you leap. Most of off grid living is a lot more involved, both initially and ongoing than simply plug and play. You may find that what is a shockingly large sum of $$ spent to run grid power to a semi-isolated residence is still less $$ and a lot less ongoing hassle than completely energy independent living. Besides, money spent on running power will add to resale value or, as a perhaps more practical matter, at least make the place easier for you or your kids to sell some day.

Comment

Originally posted by NothingInCommon View Post
        Hi -

Its a rough crowd here but they will set you straight

May the force be with you -

Cheers!
        What's rough about a realistic but still non threatening and respectful suggestion that amounts to little more than look before you leap ?

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

What's rough about a realistic but still non threatening and respectful suggestion that amounts to little more than look before you leap ?
          Its not so bad. My dreams were picked apart in seconds :'( J/K

I appreciate the approach actually especially as a newbie. Had I not learned about the battery limitations I would have dived in after hours of DIY youtube project watching. Im glad I registered.

Comment

JPM...Thank you for your brutal welcome....LOL...I honestly do appreciate the truth in your reply... We are in a very unique position as it stands. We started designing an off grid home 30 years ago and now so much has changed. We will be mostly living in a camper, just need something more for the barn/shed/workshop. Resale is not an issue as we already have it sold....great story..
            As for the Angina....I can sneak nitro from work

Comment

Originally posted by yetavon View Post
              JPM...Thank you for your brutal welcome....LOL...I honestly do appreciate the truth in your reply... We are in a very unique position as it stands. We started designing an off grid home 30 years ago and now so much has changed. We will be mostly living in a camper, just need something more for the barn/shed/workshop. Resale is not an issue as we already have it sold....great story..
              As for the Angina....I can sneak nitro from work
              You're again welcome. This being the forum of few(er) illusions, less time is wasted on snowflakes with easily hurt feelings.

Comment

Working...
              X