X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 180ls1
    • Apr 2017

Hi everyone! Have a bit of an odd question.

New member here from San Diego looking into getting solar. I look forward to learning and contributing what I can.

One major issue is that I have an enclosed patio that was turned into a bedroom/game room without being inspected or permitted. Will this cause major problems with getting solar? I spoke to one company and he stated we can put the panels on the front of the house and since the electric panel is also on the front the inspector wont balk at the solar system since its on the other side of the house from the non-permitted room. Does anyone have any experience here?

I know the system will be inspected by both SDG&E as well as the city.

Thanks guys!
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

No they can only Inspect the work submitted on the Permit.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
      No they can only Inspect the work submitted on the Permit.
      +1. Unless you spit on the inspector, or imply (s)he has had inappropriate relations with his/her mother, they'll have no reason to look for other stuff other than what's on their ticket. They want safety. They are not the gestapo.

Comment

• 180ls1
        • Apr 2017

LOL!

Thanks guys, thats great news.

Also down the road if I wanted to add more panels I assume they want to inspect that as well but do they have any real way of knowing? I don't want to do anything illegal or am advocating anything illegal, just a hypothetical question.

Comment

• sensij
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 180ls1
          LOL!

Also down the road if I wanted to add more panels I assume they want to inspect that as well but do they have any real way of knowing? I don't want to do anything illegal or am advocating anything illegal, just a hypothetical question.
          In the permit application, the structural design of the building or structure onto which you are installing needs to be detailed. If the patio is going to cause a problem, it should be revealed in the plan check phase, before the permit is issued. As long the patio roof isn't the surface you are using, it should be ok.

Of course, if the information you submit with your permit application as the basis of your plans doesn't match reality, the inspector could flag that.
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

LOL!

Non hypothetical answer: Follow the rules. SDG & E will find out long before the building inspector. You will be quickly found and penalized. Besides, adding to an existing array is probably not as simple as you may think, and so not necessarily a good idea. Do what you want, but, as a suggestion only, do your homework first.

Comment

• cebury
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2011

They can stop you or do anything they want. My local electrical contractor was in a mess last year (not my project) when his work was being checked for new LR can lights and the inspector noticed an entire kitchen remodel to the older home. He called and looked up and found no permit pulled, then walked out saying they wouldn't finish this permit until they get permits on the years-old changes made to the kitchen. IIRC They required new dedicated circuit for the microwave and something about the distance of outlets near the sink and other lighting stuff. Whether right or wrong, most can't fight the system with inspectors.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                Non hypothetical answer: Follow the rules. SDG & E will find out long before the building inspector..
                Ditto, you cannot hide from the utility. Between the Meter and their computers will detect it in a day.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• 180ls1
                  • Apr 2017

Non hypothetical answer: Follow the rules. SDG & E will find out long before the building inspector. You will be quickly found and penalized. Besides, adding to an existing array is probably not as simple as you may think, and so not necessarily a good idea. Do what you want, but, as a suggestion only, do your homework first.
                  I can assure you my heart is in the right place. I think helping the environment and saving money is awesome. Problem is I might not have enough $$$ to buy the whole system that I want/need so I might have to start small then build on it. I know SDG&E and the city will screw me out of every $$$ they can so I was curious about mitigating that.

FYI I purchased the house with the non permitted addition already, that was not my own doing.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

I can assure you my heart is in the right place. I think helping the environment and saving money is awesome. Problem is I might not have enough $$$ to buy the whole system that I want/need so I might have to start small then build on it. I know SDG&E and the city will screw me out of every $$$ they can so I was curious about mitigating that.

FYI I purchased the house with the non permitted addition already, that was not my own doing.
                    Where your heart and mind are is NOMB or concern. As for the environment, reducing your use and thus your electric bill is the best way to help the environment. Do that and the environment will pretty much take care of itself. If you do that, you will also be able to have more assets available to help afford solar, if that's your choice, with the added benefit that the required solar system size will be smaller and thus more affordable. On the city screwing anyone: Not sure what the city does, but the county fees for solar additions are waived.

Comment

• sensij
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Sep 2014

On the city screwing anyone: Not sure what the city does, but the county fees for solar additions are waived.
                      City of San Diego charges $432 for a PV permit, $175 less if prepared by someone with professional certification.
                      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by sensij

City of San Diego charges $432 for a PV permit, $175 less if prepared by someone with professional certification.
                        Understood. Thank you.

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by sensij
                          I am surprised the differential is not more.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• 180ls1
                            • Apr 2017

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...