X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samz comm

Am new in this forum, and I have some challenges on my solar panel, 48v inverter, 130w 12 panels, 12v each, before installing the solar panel on the inverter it was working quite alright, six months later I installed the 12v, 12 panels on the inverter. Few days later I experienced shutting down of the inverter mostly at nite , what could be the cost

Hello momoh and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

To help you we will need a little more information concerning your system

We know you have 12 x 12v 130 watt panels but not how they are wired

We know you have a 48volt inverter

We do not know (but can presume 48volt) what type of battery system you have and what it is rated in Ah and how it is wired.

We do not know what type of Charge controller you have.

We do not know what your daily watt hour loads are.

We do not know where you live and how those 12 panels are arranged.

So without more information it would be hard for anyone to help you determine what is wrong with your system.

Comment

> Few days later I experienced shutting down of the inverter mostly at nite

That's the key, it's likely your batteries are below the operating voltage of the inverter. Shorter days, longer nights, bad winter weather. Your batteries are not getting charged enough, Try charging with your backup generator for a couple hours in the morning, let the solar finish the rest of the day, and see how the voltage at the batteries holds up at night.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thank you very much Mr mike, yes the wiring! I series 4 and parallel, the batteries are 12v each, 200Ah. sealed maintenance free deep circle batteries, the charge control is PWM 60A, 48v.
        Am African, Nigeria to be precise, the are panels are installed in 2pairs. And I do not know how to calculate the daily watt hour load, (I will appreciate if you can put me through to that)
        Thanks.

Comment

SUNEAGLE, am sure you are seing this too

Comment

Originally posted by momoh View Post
            SUNEAGLE, am sure you are seing this too
            Yes. But I am still not sure how you have wired your 12 panels. If they are 12volt panels, and you are charging a 48volt battery system you probably need at least 4 of them wired in series. That would then get you 3 sets of 4 wired in parallel. The problem is will your 60Amp PWM charge controller be able to handle that type of wiring or not.

Since the CC is a PWM type we need to know the Imp of those 130watt panels (I can guess they are around 7.4amps) which could get you a total of 25amps of charging based on my guess of 3 sets of 4 wired in parallel. But I am guessing.

Next if you have 12volt 200Ah batteries you need 4 of them wired in series to get a 48volt 200 Ah system but you mention the word "parallel" do you might have a second string of 4 to give you a 48volt 400Ah battery system. But again I am guessing.

With my guess of 25 amps of charging and 400Ah of battery I would say you do not have enough charging amps to keep the batteries full. You need about 40 amps. You can't get that out of your panels even with an MPPT type CC so you need more panel wattage.

But again even with more panel wattage we don't know if the battery is big enough to handle your daily watt hours needs.

Comment

To figure your daily watt hour needs, you add up your loads
              Light 40w x 5 hours = 200 watt hours (Wh)
              fan 80w x 9 hr = 720 Wh
              computer 90w x 5 hr =450wh
              and so on, DVD player, TV, phone chargers, Fridge, toaster...... Add them all up and then add all their watt hours up.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

Yes. The 12 panels 12volts is charging a 48volt battery, 4 of them wired in series, which in 3 sets.

Yes, 4 of the batteries are wired in series which make the output 48v, each of the battery 200Ah x 4 =800Ah in total,

Comment

I have calculated The daily watt hour need on the system, Bulbs 40w x6 = 360
                  Bulbs 11w x10 = 110
                  42 inch tv 85w x 1 = 85
                  32 inc tv 75w x 2 = 150
                  Fan - 80w x 3 = 240
                  But most cases we do not put ON the listed items at once,
                  And please make me to umderstand if it is posible for the panels to drill the battetries

Comment

odd, 2 TV's and no refrigeration. No DVD player or cable box, cell phone charger ?

Simply add up all the loads, and you get your daily watt hour consumption
                    360 +110+85+150+240= 945wh.

945 x 3 days reserve gives you a 2835wh battery requirement At 48V, that would be 59ah, That could be supplied by 4 generic 12V deep cycle batteries.
                    It also seems unrealistically low.

To get the right capacity size of your inverter, you add up all the loads you expect to allow to be ON at one time, and add 25%
                    So if some of your lights are not on all the time, a 1,000w, 48V pure sine inverter should be ok.

You have 1560w of PV panels which should be more than enough to keep the system with your batteries fully charged with only 2 hours noon sun. If you have any shade on the panels, it will greatly reduce their output to nothing,
                    Last edited by Mike90250; 12-03-2016, 02:45 AM.

Comment

I need help, I still dont understand why the batteries drain fast, knowing the total loads 945wh on the inverter 48v 200Ah x4 battary and 12p of 130w, the system works well during the day, those not well at night. The 200ah x 4 batteries are new

Comment

I'll ask again, do you have any shade on the panels during the day?
                        Do you have a battery temperature sensor wired in? Do all the batteries have sufficient water, and are they really getting charged? Your loads seem "light".
                        Your battery has 9600 watt hours in it, 50% is usable, 4.8KWh should run the full 1Kwh load at least 5 hours, and the hours start counting when the sun leaves the panels.
                        Somewhere, you have an extra load, or the batteries are not getting fully charged

Comment

No, I do not have any shade on the panels, because the panels are installed directly on top of the roof , yes , the battery temperature is wired on the battery, its deep circle sealed batteries,

Comment

Originally posted by momoh View Post
                            No, I do not have any shade on the panels, because the panels are installed directly on top of the roof , yes , the battery temperature is wired on the battery, its deep circle sealed batteries,
                            Based on your 48v 200Ah battery system (4 x 12volt 200Ah wired in series) you should easily have enough power to run a load of 1000 wh for 5 hours a day and not come close to discharging the system even 25%.

And with 1560watt of solar panels wired in a 3 x 4 configuration that 60A PWM CC should be able to recharge the battery system unless you have very little sun.

So based on your first post, it sounds very similar to other people who started out with a good set of batteries where everything worked fine and then the system no longer worked at night.

The problem was usually either a wiring issue or charging issue which resulted in the battery system not getting back up anywhere near 100% full. So it lasted for a few days but then could no longer hold the charge needed for the overnight loads.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                              To figure your daily watt hour needs, you add up your loads
                              Light 40w x 5 hours = 200 watt hours (Wh)
                              fan 80w x 9 hr = 720 Wh
                              computer 90w x 5 hr =450wh
                              and so on, DVD player, TV, phone chargers, Fridge, toaster...... Add them all up and then add all their watt hours up.
                              Mr Mike Good Day

​​​​i have 2 questions for you, 1. How to read VOC with metre
                              2. Can 8 panel of 300w each charge 8 200Ah Batteries?

Comment

Working...
                              X