X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kamran
    • Oct 2016

Short Circut and open circuit ampere

I want to know if any panel has short circuit rated ampere given on the panel is 8.2 Ampere of a 245 watt panel, how much ampere we should consider acceptable, when we connect it with devices. When I check my panels it gives around 5 ampere each panel while running fans I check it on separate wires . I am worried I am a new user and know nothing about this.I am using Yingli.
    Thanks
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

1. The rated short circuit current will only be seen when the orientation of the panel is directly toward the sun, the sky is clear, the sun is high in the sky, and the panel temperature is lower than normal conditions.
    2. The actual current when the panel is loaded will depend greatly on what kind of load is connected to it. If the load is, for example, an MPPT type battery charge controller AND the batteries are able to accept the full panel power, then the current will be IMP, which is going to be somewhere between 80% and 90% of ISC.
    If the load is a fan, then the current will be something less than ISC and will depend on how well matched the fan load is to the panel power capacity.
    3. If the load is not well matched and the impedance is too high, the current could even approach zero.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Short Circuit Current is whatever it is. It is a lab condition you wil never see. Nor will you ever see Open Circuit Current because open circuit current is always ZERO AMP. No current flows in an Open Circuit. It is like saying how long does it take to drive over a washed out bridge.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Kamran
        • Oct 2016

Thanks you very much I got my concepts much clearer one more question I have got two panels installed and have connected parallel each is giving almost 5 ampere and cumulatively 10 ampere when I switch on fans and lights at peak sun hours so the running ampere it shows continuously on DC ampere meter is 10 ampere should it give more or it is normal my charge controller is not MPPT. and Panel Watt is 245. Yingli

Comment

• jflorey2
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Kamran
          Thanks you very much I got my concepts much clearer one more question I have got two panels installed and have connected parallel each is giving almost 5 ampere and cumulatively 10 ampere when I switch on fans and lights at peak sun hours so the running ampere it shows continuously on DC ampere meter is 10 ampere should it give more or it is normal my charge controller is not MPPT. and Panel Watt is 245. Yingli
          Sounds about right. When your batteries are fully charged they will take very little current. When you add a load you will start pulling more current from the panels, as the charge controller closes and allows full panel current to the batteries.

Comment

Working...