X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billing discrepancy?

I'm a new user. I had a system installed in July, and finally got approval to turn it on in December!

It's a 22 panel 5.5kW system using 255 W QCells panels with 22 enphase microinverters.

The enphase monitoring system shows 1.5MWh generation for the past 2 months (mid-March through Mid-May) while my LADWP bill shows 955 KWh delivered (consumed?), with only 521 KWh recieved (produced?). So I consumed the difference of 434 KWh, which they billed me for.

They installed a net meter, so I assume there is no loss since the solar panels are connected to the meter.

How do I go about trouble shooting this rather large discrepancy?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Qubera View Post
    I'm a new user. I had a system installed in July, and finally got approval to turn it on in December!

It's a 22 panel 5.5kW system using 255 W QCells panels with 22 enphase microinverters.

The enphase monitoring system shows 1.5MWh generation for the past 2 months (mid-March through Mid-May) while my LADWP bill shows 955 KWh delivered (consumed?), with only 521 KWh recieved (produced?). So I consumed the difference of 434 KWh, which they billed me for.

They installed a net meter, so I assume there is no loss since the solar panels are connected to the meter.

How do I go about trouble shooting this rather large discrepancy?

Thanks!
    If you have a single meter you will not see all your production on the meter. If you are producing 5kW and using 2kW, the meter will only record you producing 3kW.

Comment

Some amount of what Enphase shows that you generated will just feed other circuits in your house during the day and not make it out to the grid. That energy will not show up on LADWP's meter. It suggests your *total* consumption for this period was in the neighborhood of 2000 kWh. how does that compare to your consumption this time of year in previous years?
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
        Some amount of what Enphase shows that you generated will just feed other circuits in your house during the day and not make it out to the grid. That energy will not show up on LADWP's meter. It suggests your *total* consumption for this period was in the neighborhood of 2000 kWh. how does that compare to your consumption this time of year in previous years?

I prior year consumption was 1,050 KWh, so this would be almost double.

Comment

I was able to speak to someone at LADWP's solar power dept and they said they only monitor the excess power sent to them - meaning I did in fact consume ~2000kWh.

This is a strange and rather excessive consumption considering that summer hasn't even started yet and the A/C barely ran a couple of days, and our water heaters/heating run on gas.

I guess it's time to replace my 32 year old A/C before summer sets in.

Comment

I've heard of others who power consumption drastically increased after getting solar. Members of the family got it into there head that solar power is free so they didn't need to conserve anymore and could use as much as they wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf View Post
              I've heard of others who power consumption drastically increased after getting solar. Members of the family got it into there head that solar power is free so they didn't need to conserve anymore and could use as much as they wanted.

Considering how it's just me, my wife and our 15 month old daughter there isn't a lot of people in the family to blame!

I've been working from home a lot more, but how much electricity can a desktop/LCD display consume?

Comment

If you look at your meter directly, you may get more insight into what is going on (rather than waiting for the end of the month). Another forum member with LADWP on a TOU plan had started a thread some time ago with a similar question. Check it a couple days in a row, maybe with A/C and without, and see if you can figure out if there is energy you are not accounting for.

https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...n-and-metering
                CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
                  If you look at your meter directly, you may get more insight into what is going on (rather than waiting for the end of the month). Another forum member with LADWP on a TOU plan had started a thread some time ago with a similar question. Check it a couple days in a row, maybe with A/C and without, and see if you can figure out if there is energy you are not accounting for.

https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...n-and-metering
                  Thanks for the link.

I'll check out the meter numbers for a few days.

Comment

Working...
                  X