X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LDinSD
    • Feb 2016

New member in SD currently getting bids

Hello everyone,

New member here in San Diego and glad to have found this forum. It has been very helpful during my initial research stage and admittedly, I've got a lot more to learn. I (my wife) have decided to go ahead and proceed with the purchase of a 6kw system! In the next week or two, I will be getting bids and deciding between which systems to choose from. I am leaning towards some LG 315 panels with the Enphase s280's! I'll try to document my progress and welcome any feedback.

Looking forward to going solar!

LD
  • solar pete
    Administrator
    • May 2014

Howdy LDinSD, and welcome to Solar Panel Talk. There are lots of people from your fine state here, and lots of good info to look through, you can also make use of site sponsors www.solarreviews.com and www.solar-estimate.org remember to check out any installers on BBB as well.

I think you might be interested in this thread too
    With the new forum policy on sharing installers via their www.solarreviews.com (http://www.solarreviews.com) page, perhaps the time is right for this thread. A

Good luck with it, cheers.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LDinSD
      Hello everyone,

New member here in San Diego and glad to have found this forum. It has been very helpful during my initial research stage and admittedly, I've got a lot more to learn. I (my wife) have decided to go ahead and proceed with the purchase of a 6kw system! In the next week or two, I will be getting bids and deciding between which systems to choose from. I am leaning towards some LG 315 panels with the Enphase s280's! I'll try to document my progress and welcome any feedback.

Looking forward to going solar!

LD
      NOMB or concern, but why are you spending a lot of money without completing your education ("...admittedly, I've got a lot more to learn.") ? Do you know what your usage is ? Do you know anything about rate tariffs ? Do you know that solar electricity is the most expensive way to reduce an electric bill ?

Download and read a copy of "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies". a free net download. Knowledge is power. Get some of the first and use the 2d to avoid getting screwed. Don't be rushed. Caveat emptor.

Comment

• LDinSD
        • Feb 2016

Originally posted by solar pete
        Howdy LDinSD, and welcome to Solar Panel Talk. There are lots of people from your fine state here, and lots of good info to look through, you can also make use of site sponsors www.solarreviews.com and www.solar-estimate.org remember to check out any installers on BBB as well.

I think you might be interested in this thread too
        https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...-forum-members

Good luck with it, cheers.
        Thanks solar pete! Definitely already combed through that list of SD installers and a few will be giving me bids. Current best bid so far is $2.89/watt.

Originally posted by J.P.M.

NOMB or concern, but why are you spending a lot of money without completing your education ("...admittedly, I've got a lot more to learn.") ? Do you know what your usage is ? Do you know anything about rate tariffs ? Do you know that solar electricity is the most expensive way to reduce an electric bill ?

Download and read a copy of "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies". a free net download. Knowledge is power. Get some of the first and use the 2d to avoid getting screwed. Don't be rushed. Caveat emptor.
        I agree, knowledge is power! I have been researching the topic for a couple years now, ever since I acquired an EV. But we moved and I tabled the thought for a good 6 months. Still, technology and companies change so fast so there is a concern that I'm missing something.

I do know our usage and am planning my system against TOU net metering rates and not total usage (I charge my EV during super off peak hours). Definitely been reducing usage as much as possible. However, a big chunk is coming from the EV. Thank you though for the advice.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LDinSD
          Still, technology and companies change so fast so there is a concern that I'm missing something.

Thank you though for the advice.
          You're welcome. As for technology changing: Probably not as fast as peddlers would like you to think, and definitely not as fast as peddlers come/go.

Get the basics down. Set goals and priorities. Do you want solar to keep up with the Jones, or do you want a lower electric bill for the least amount of $$ spent ? If the latter, conservation measures before solar will make any resulting solar smaller (read less $$) and be the most cost effective.

Knowledge will make the inevitable tradeoffs easier. Bonus: A little research and homework, and you'll know more than most peddlers. such knowledge can be an eye opener when you ask questions of peddlers you already know the answers to. Not surprisingly, that can help with vendor selection.

Comment

Working...