X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zardiw
    • Nov 2015

A Solar System w/o Batteries is like a Lifeboat that you Rent Out.

Hi.

z
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Hello Z and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

Comment

• peakbagger
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2010

Burning dollar bills will keep you warm for a few minutes but it still doesn't make sense.

I have had one of my arrays for over 10 years. I bought a generator about a year before. I have never needed to run it, everything is set up to run it but the rare power outages I have never last long enough to make it worth getting it out.

Comment

• deyounte
        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by peakbagger
        Burning dollar bills will keep you warm for a few minutes but it still doesn't make sense.

I have had one of my arrays for over 10 years. I bought a generator about a year before. I have never needed to run it, everything is set up to run it but the rare power outages I have never last long enough to make it worth getting it out.
        I have to second peakbagger's motion. It's all a financial decision based on cost/benefit. If you aren't experiencing a lot of power outages, then buying/maintaining batteries is probably not worth it financially. In the end most small solar owners are just wanting to save the world and save some money on their bills and show off how cool their system is. I know that was what I was trying to do.

Tim D.
        Melbourne, FL

Comment

• diogenes
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2015

It was actually cheaper for me to add a whole house generator, from a life cycle viewpoint, than to go the battery off grid route

Comment

• Zardiw
            • Nov 2015

Well, the problem with that is, if there is a MAJOR outage for some reason......and it happens quite a lot in some areas......It makes more sense to have batteries.......at least imo.

And if the SHTF so to speak.....you'll have power.

I just don't like depending on others for essential things....if I can help it........and even here in sunny californicate....my power goes out quite a lot......for varying times.....sometimes a whole day.

I have a gennie........but it's a pain in the ass getting it going, and then LISTENING to it......lol

And the longer range plan is to run a well off of it.........And I can get rid of 2/4 utility bills.

z

Comment

• solarix
              Super Moderator
              • Apr 2015

It all depends on what your purpose is. If you think the SHTF then ya you need batteries - but is that really a good idea in that situation as those few with electricity will be become targets for many that don't? If you want to help transition the world to a better, cleaner, renewable energy system then put in a grid-tied system that is storage ready for when we figure out better batteries or how to integrate EV's into your system.
              BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Sooo.... Price out the battery cost, and the charge controller for it, then compare to the cost of a 5kw genset and a weeks worth of fuel @ 30% load. And then buy a new battery every 6-8 years.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• jflorey2
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Zardiw
                  Well, the problem with that is, if there is a MAJOR outage for some reason......and it happens quite a lot in some areas......It makes more sense to have batteries.......at least imo. And if the SHTF so to speak.....you'll have power. I just don't like depending on others for essential things....if I can help it........and even here in sunny californicate....my power goes out quite a lot......for varying times.....sometimes a whole day. I have a gennie........but it's a pain in the ass getting it going, and then LISTENING to it......lol
                  So:

1) Get a quieter generator OR
                  2) Get an SMA inverter with secure power supply (backup power while the sun is out) OR
                  3) Get an SMA inverter with SPS and a cheap UPS from Best Buy (power at night)

All three should be cheaper than a battery based system.

Comment

• azdave
                    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Zardiw
                    A Solar System w/o Batteries is like a Lifeboat that you Rent Out.
                    Not all of us with solar are concerned about outages. If I was worried, I'd buy a generator. I don't think my power has been out more than a half day in total in the 28 years I've lived in Phoenix.
                    Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by jflorey2
                      So:

1) Get a quieter generator OR
                      2) Get an SMA inverter with secure power supply (backup power while the sun is out) OR
                      3) Get an SMA inverter with SPS and a cheap UPS from Best Buy (power at night)

All three should be cheaper than a battery based system.
                      And/Or: 4.) Get earplugs.

Comment

• Mike90250
                        • May 2009

Hey - there are these things called mufflers that can greatly reduce the sound from a generator.
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Mike90250
                          Hey - there are these things called mufflers that can greatly reduce the sound from a generator.
                          Yea, mufflers for the ears, or, for the equipment. A bit seriously, while it might take a bit, but not much design for venting/cooling considerations, surround the generator with sound insulating materials and baffling.

It's possible to knock about 30-40 dba out of the noise with some planning and not much $$.

Comment

Working...