X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello to Free Energy

Hoping to learn more about building a system to supplement my current energy needs while introducing myself to the concept of solar energy. Looking at 3"x6" cells (cell type is not indicated) that I am not entirely sure what i am getting into with these. They appear to produce 72 watts average when purchased in lots of 40, but must be tabbed, framed and encapsulated. What should I expect to have into one 40 cell lot upon completion?

In addition, I was thinking an inexpensive sine wave inverter and a couple deep cycle marine batteries for a total of around $300 after miscellaneous expenses? I have been measuring the various appliances around the house to determine a few of the things I would like to remove from the grid like the cable modem, router, lights, wireless printer roomba, cell phones, and maybe 5 light bulbs (10w each) (smaller things).

Appreciate any experienced feedback, even if it is "don't do it!"

Thank You.

$300 buys a lot of power from the electric company. Learning about solar and battery systems as a hobby is great, pursuing this to save money when grid power is available will, I think, leave you disappointed. Unless it is just for fun, I would suggest taking some time to get a good understanding of the loads you want to run and the equipment necessary to do it before spending more money.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Free Energy?

Not a chance. Anything you take off the rid I going to cost you roughly 10 times more then buying it from the greedy POCO.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Don't waste your time and money trying to build your own solar panel. It is not worth it when factory built ones are so inexpensive now. Create a loads list with a loads list calculator that you can find online to determine how much power you need to make, then use an off-grid calculator to determine the size panel and battery bank you need.
        Solar Queen
        altE Store

Comment

Originally posted by CatchingSun View Post
          Hoping to learn more about building a system to supplement my current energy needs while introducing myself to the concept of solar energy. Looking at 3"x6" cells (cell type is not indicated) that I am not entirely sure what i am getting into with these. They appear to produce 72 watts average when purchased in lots of 40, but must be tabbed, framed and encapsulated. What should I expect to have into one 40 cell lot upon completion?

In addition, I was thinking an inexpensive sine wave inverter and a couple deep cycle marine batteries for a total of around $300 after miscellaneous expenses? I have been measuring the various appliances around the house to determine a few of the things I would like to remove from the grid like the cable modem, router, lights, wireless printer roomba, cell phones, and maybe 5 light bulbs (10w each) (smaller things).

Appreciate any experienced feedback, even if it is "don't do it!"

Thank You.
          Hello and Welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

Like Amy, I will also advise you that building your own solar panel is not going to save you any money. It will be less expensive and get better quality to purchase a factory made panel.

Also like the others have stated using solar and batteries to run your electric appliances will cost you much much more than using the grid power.

Comment

I started yammering about this again a few days ago, so I ordered two panels (100w each) and a charger controller. Now I can stop talking about doing this! Remembered I had an account here, so I thought I would update.

I now have a 300 watt inverter and a couple batteries in parallel attached and waiting for the 2 panels and controller to arrive in the mail. I know I am not able to do too much with what I have, BUT I CAN do something now! Look forward to getting going AND saving a dime at the rate of $.093 cents per kwh.

Comment

I live in France and the electricity here is between 0.13 and 0.15 euros so i'd save 50% more than you. I'll get my money back a few decades before you.If you have frequent power cuts like here what you save on candles will help to improve the ROI.
              There are many reasons other than financial for installing solar.
              You can be sure that you will make electricity with your setup and I hope that every time you use that electricity it makes you feel good. 300$ to feel good for 10 years sounds like a good plan to me.
              I hope your panels and controller turn up soon and you don't have any problems connecting everything.
              Good luck and enjoy. James
              Last edited by Robinhood-46; 11-13-2018, 06:23 AM. Reason: Needed to rewrite 90% of text. Something didn't like the euro symbol

Comment

Originally posted by Robinhood-46 View Post
                There are many reasons other than financial for installing solar.
                You can be sure that you will make electricity with your setup and I hope that every time you use that electricity it makes you feel good. 300$ to feel good for 10 years sounds like a good plan to me. James
                Thanks, James! Vive la France! Will figure this out as I go.

Comment

Working...
                X