Hello to all the Solar experts and entusiasts from a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello to all the Solar experts and entusiasts from a newbie

I just joined this forum a few days ago after searching the internet for good solar electricity forums. I am impressed with the wealth of information found in this forum and look forward to learning a bunch from you seasoned experts. I am currently embarking on a solar project for a houseboat moored on Lake Shasta, CA. I am also considering a DIY solar project for my buddies home in the SF bay area with the help of a licensed electrician. I would consider myself a hobbyist with a thirst for knowledge, having dabbled in electricity, RV's, Boats and RC helicopters for most of my adult life.

Thanks for all the great insights and information in your of stickies. They are extremely helpful for a newbie like myself.

Hi Steve - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Good luck but the house boat is going to be a toughie to justify solar on - maybe a battery bank (providing it doesn't cause you to sink) and charge it with your generator. That would be less expensive and a lot more bang for the buck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Russ,

Thanks. We have a number of houseboats on the lake with solar systems sufficient to handle the 3000 watt hours daily. I just don't know their configuration. Most folks don't want to run their generators for every little thing, hence the desire for a solar/battery array. as far as sinking, the boats are 55 footers on pontoons with a large load carrying capacity within reason. A thousand pounds or two is not an issue for these boats. I know it is cheaper to run the generator and I am not looking for a standalone system. Just one that will allow the occasional use of AC appliances for a few minutes at a time without firing up the generator while folks are still sleeping, or when kids are swimming near the exhaust port. We have no issue with charging with the generator when the solar system is unable to keep up.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
        Hi Steve - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Good luck but the house boat is going to be a toughie to justify solar on - maybe a battery bank (providing it doesn't cause you to sink) and charge it with your generator. That would be less expensive and a lot more bang for the buck.
        Russ,

You are right in a dollars and cents perspective. The decision is more of a convenience and lifestyle choice though. Not having the fire the generator first thing in the morning for a cup of coffee... worth thousands to the wife with a caffeine addiction lol...

Comment

Steve are you still on here? I have a houseboat at Shasta and want to do what you did. Please message me who you used. Thanks

Comment

I am another newbee who's just joined. Still struggling at the first step . I am trying a device to remove 4000 cal of heat /per hour. I think it works to 4.6 W ( 4000x.001163) . I wonder what size of Solar Panel do I need to attach.

Comment

Working...
            X