Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tazz3069
    • Jun 2011

Well Pump Power Question

I have a question on how or if possible to run a pump with solar and grid power. I have a few clients that have 1hp well pump. The question that I am asked is is there a way to run the pump off of solar with out batteries, during the day, then run it with grid power at night. Is there some kind of transfer switch that can be used? Can some one point me in the right direction plz.
  • Wy_White_Wolf
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2011

The way you're thinking, No. But one can do a grid tie with net metering and offset the pump usage.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

If you actually NEED 1hp pump, you will have to supply it with over 1,000watts of solar.

otherwise, you would install a new DC pump with just enough solar PV to provide the lift and flow required. If you have grid power at hand, you are wasting a lot of $ to make it "solar" for daytime only.

If you want to offset some of the electric bill, just install a few thousand watts of PV with a Grid-Intertie inverter (GT inverter) and relax - no batteries, switches, or odd things to explain to the pump guy when it goes bad.

Water pumping, you either pump to an elevated tank that provides your pressure, or you pressurize your lines with the pump and pressure tank. I've done the former with 12,000 gallons on a hill above my house, pumping up from a pond.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• tazz3069
        • Jun 2011

I am looking for the most cost effective way to install solar for these pumps. If I need to do batteries, then so be it. What I have been told is that these pumps power come from the residence. Each house has its own pump.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by tazz3069
          I am looking for the most cost effective way to install solar for these pumps. If I need to do batteries, then so be it. What I have been told is that these pumps power come from the residence. Each house has its own pump.
          It is simply not cost effective. Only economical thing you can do is a grid tied system. Going off grid with battery is suicide meaning your customer will be paying around 20 times more for electricity the rest of their lives. Only person is going to be happy is you when you cash the check.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...