Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbvicker
    • Aug 2011

Help with system to run pump

We have a 5hp, 30 amp Goulds pump being used to pump water from a well which is 750ft deep. We only need it to run in daylight hours and we wanted to run this pump with solar panels. We have been having trouble calling a few dealers to see if they could design a system to run our pump. Need some help, on what we may need to do to accomplish this.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

A 5 hp pump is never going to run off solar. If you don't really need the volume, and can manage with 1gpm into a storage tank, it can be done much more affordably with a smaller pump. If you are trying to water 50 acres a day - you are stuck with what you have.

I pump about 3,000 gal daily, 160' lift, to a storage tank. Pump specs in my .sig.

There are DC solar pumps, or you can go the generic AC pump and a large inverter.
    I don't know if the DC pumps can manage 750'.

Doing it over, I would use a 3 phase, 1/2hp AC pump with a VFD (variable frequency driver) controller, for soft starts, off a regualr 240VAC inverter.

I don't think solartown deals with pumps in this class, but this vendor
    http://www.solar-electric.com/sodcwapu.html does, and you can crawl the site and see what they have, or call the store.

The first questions:
    Lift
    Volume
    Elevated storage or pressure tank storage

DC pump:
    Grundfos 6 SQF-3 Helical Rotor 820 feet 6 GPM 1400watts 3" (1" NPT)
    Needs P panels, controller box, and the 6gpm is at shallow depth, you will have to look at the pump curve to fid GPM @ yyour 750'
    Last edited by Mike90250; 08-22-2011, 02:13 PM.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by dbvicker
      We have a 5hp, 30 amp Goulds pump being used to pump water from a well which is 750ft deep. We only need it to run in daylight hours and we wanted to run this pump with solar panels. We have been having trouble calling a few dealers to see if they could design a system to run our pump. Need some help, on what we may need to do to accomplish this.
      Either use a 240 VAC pump powered from the grid or a windmill.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• s.xavier
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2011

The depth is pretty high.... Not a lot of commercial solar pumps are built to work that depth with a decent enough flowrate. The only one I can think of is the GrundFos Helical Rotor 6 SQF-3. The max head on it is about 820ft with a flow rate about 6gpm.

Just be warned though, Danish company with component parts coming from Europe which means if you need replacement parts they will take time, a lot of time... And if you in the drilling business, parts will always be needed

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by s.xavier
          Just be warned though, Danish company with component parts coming from Europe which means if you need replacement parts they will take time, a lot of time... And if you in the drilling business, parts will always be needed
          Hum!

Danish folks build walls and huge pumps to keep water out of the country. If they want water, stick a shovel in the ground and the country floods.

For deep wells you need high voltage, high HP, and lots or power. Or like farmers use to do in arrid climates is build a tall large windmill with a float valve regulator like in your toilet... But that is too simple, cheap, and and effective today huh?
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• dbvicker
            • Aug 2011

Thank all of you for your input and fast response!! This was a huge help. Awesome site

Comment

Working...