12v pump directly off a panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v pump directly off a panel

Hi. I have seen a few posts on here in regards to running a pump directly off a panel. I am working with my sons school trying to create an outdoor learning lab. Want to show them wind, solar and water power. Would love to take a wind turbine and a solar panel and have a switch between the both to choose which one is powering a pump. That pump will pump water from a basin just below another so no more than a 2 foot rise. Water will flow from the higher basin to lower over some sort of water wheel to generate electricity to power a 12v bulb.

All of this being said I need an economical way to keep the voltage and amperage constant. The bildge pump I was looking at was 12v 3a. So 36 watts. I was looking to get a panel rated at 50w. And a wind turbine along the same lines. What needs to go in between so i can power the pump directly off either wind or solar without a battery. Thanks for any insite!!

Michael

The first thing the lab will demonstrate, is a 50W panel almost never actually delivers
    50W, and then only for a short period under excellent sun. A cloud will turn it into an
    8W panel. Most places wind is much worse, and the turbine needs to be a couple
    stories above obstructions. Still work can be done, but constant power requires a
    battery, which is still limited to the amount of energy you can collect.
    good luck, Bruce Roe

Comment

Many more wind turbines get abandoned, than solar panels. Solar is cheap and if it's in the full sun, works.

Wind needs (wait for it) Wind. Enough wind, that if you don't have to tie your hat on when you go outside, you don't have enough wind to bother with.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

X2 on the battery.(storage)

It gives best chance at kick starting and keep things all smooth with the pump instead of just crossed fingers.

With out the battery everything is merely a hit or miss opportunity scenario.
        Last edited by neweclipse; 10-03-2019, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by neweclipse View Post
          X2 on the battery.(storage)

It gives best chance at kick starting and keep things all smooth with the pump instead of just crossed fingers.

With out the battery everything is merely a hit or miss opportunity scenario.
          I agree. If the class wants to learn about renewable energy any day of the week then a battery is an important component. The ways of charging the battery (solar, wind, water) can still be demonstrated but the battery will provide a steady source of power for the desired load.

Comment

Maybe no battery is the better way to learn about "alternative energy". Sort of the current real life dilemma, lots of power in daylight, no power at night, or a cloudy day. Then what ?
            Currently, battery banks hold up for a 30 minute surge, till the fossil fuel gas turbines come up to speed.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thanks for all the comments and advise. I understand that it may be hit or miss with clouds and or wind. I don't think they will understand the full impact of renewable energy if a battery is powering the pump. These are kindergartners through 2nd grade. Unless they see sun light hitting a panel and that panel turning the sun into usable electricity the wow factor will be gone. Is there any recomendations as to what size panel I should get so I have a good shot at getting my 36w @12v? As far as a wind turbine I planned to have it up high on some sort of pole. How high I have to play around with. The school has a large field and its normally gusty but that's the reason why i wanted to be able and switch between two different power sources. Windy day but cloudy use turbine. Sunny day no wind use panel. Maybe there is a way I can tie them both together. Just trying to create an educational platform to teach young minds. If I do this is there an economical way to regulate the amperage and voltage. Thanks for all your input I appreciate it.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Chefg1124 View Post
                ..........If I do this is there an economical way to regulate the amperage and voltage......
                A switch is the simplest but actually wont regulate either voltage or amperage. It will help demonstrate whether there is enough power to run the motor. It can be turned off if there is too much power before the smoke escapes from the motor.
                9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Many do this with just a direct connect to the motor from the panel. There is no need to regulate it. When the panel is appropriately sized there won't be a severe over voltage condition. Pumps burning out is also a good lesson.

Comment

Working...
                  X