Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Wellman
    replied
    At 350 volts you need about 10 ~200 watt panels in series. Each panel has a running voltage of about 34 volts. You would have about $2k just in panels and probably close to that in racking and wiring.

Leave a comment:

• Texas Wellman
    replied
    I would guess that it is mppt and you should be able to do what you're asking. You should contact Franklin and ask them. Please keep this thread updated I would love to know how this gets resolved.

Leave a comment:

• Texas Wellman
    replied
    I have not used a Franklin solar pak but I would guess that they're made for someone like you. Since you already have a three phase motor it should be plug and play.

Leave a comment:

• cjb80
    replied
    Originally posted by Texas Wellman View Post
    So it's a 3 HP pump? Why do you need 3 phase for a 3-HP? Might be better into looking how to swap the 3 phase for single so you can use any conventional generator. Per the Franklin AIM manual you need a 10KW externally regulated or 5KW internally regulated generator to start that pump.

Also, Franklin does make a kit that converts a 3 phase motor into solar. Check these out: http://solar.franklin-electric.com/products.aspx#Tab4. Looks like you've already got the 3-HP three phase motor. Might look into what it would take to get this going. You'll probably save in fuel what it would cost to convert after about 5 years.
    TWM: Those Franklin pumps are quite interesting... the voltage ranges are much higher than Sunpumps so it would seem that there are more options available in regard to panel configuration, pressure, well depth etc. Do you about how much their 3HP pumps run with the controller?

Also, it would seem that with a 350V panel configuration I could only have one string. Would it be reasonable to hook up 2 strings of panels at 350V (which could produce up to 16 amps). This would put it outside of the power range on their documentation but it would seem that the controller would only pull the amperage that it could handle. My thinking here is that the extra string would power the pump during cloudy periods.

Does the controller have a buck converter or MPPT capabilities?

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    VFD - Variable Frequency Drive
    You can get a electronic box that converts single phase, to 3-phase and soft start.
    article here at Mfg's site
    http://phasetechnologies.com/phaseco...orstarting.htm

This is likely the easiest route.

Leave a comment:

• Texas Wellman
    replied
    So it's a 3 HP pump? Why do you need 3 phase for a 3-HP? Might be better into looking how to swap the 3 phase for single so you can use any conventional generator. Per the Franklin AIM manual you need a 10KW externally regulated or 5KW internally regulated generator to start that pump.

Also, Franklin does make a kit that converts a 3 phase motor into solar. Check these out: http://solar.franklin-electric.com/products.aspx#Tab4. Looks like you've already got the 3-HP three phase motor. Might look into what it would take to get this going. You'll probably save in fuel what it would cost to convert after about 5 years.

Originally posted by waceycornia View Post
    Deutz 10 kw 3 phase generator running a franklin electric fps 4400 model number 20FA3S4-PE is the current system and the generator just blew up so if it is not practical to run off solar can anybody recommend a good 3 phase generator this size and 3 phase

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by Carl_NH View Post
    Here is a 5000W 3 Phase Diesel - 240 V 15 amps per phase and your pump by the nameplate is a 3 HP which draws 10.9 Amps per leg full load BUT the Starting amps on that motor are probably closer to 20 AMPs so a 10KW like you have is probably what is needed. Do you know the starting amps using an ammeter?
    5000W
    http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....or/p17561.html
    11000W
    https://www.absolutegenerators.com/g...FYyRHwodAMMFuQ
    Do check if the motor is wired Delta or Y, to match up your generator. 120VAC neutral to each of 3 phases
    is 208 VAC phase to phase. 3hp is only going to run around 3KW or 1KW per line above, or 8A. A typical
    mechanical generator has some surge rating; I wouldn't design for a run rating of the starting surge. The
    rotating machinery gives some extra energy. My 8HP 4.5KW generator managed to start up a 4HP air
    compressor, yes everything dimmed and slowed but it worked. 2 HP car lift, no problem. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• Carl_NH
    replied
    Originally posted by waceycornia View Post
    Deutz 10 kw 3 phase generator running a franklin electric fps 4400 model number 20FA3S4-PE is the current system and the generator just blew up so if it is not practical to run off solar can anybody recommend a good 3 phase generator this size and 3 phase
    Here is a 5000W 3 Phase Diesel - 240 V 15 amps per phase and your pump by the nameplate is a 3 HP which draws 10.9 Amps per leg full load BUT the Starting amps on that motor are probably closer to 20 AMPs so a 10KW like you have is probably what is needed. Do you know the starting amps using an ammeter?

5000W
    http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....or/p17561.html
    11000W
    https://www.absolutegenerators.com/g...FYyRHwodAMMFuQ

Leave a comment:

• waceycornia
    replied
    current system

Leave a comment:

• Texas Wellman
    replied
    Still gonna have a hard time getting that much water unless you use multiple wells/windmills. I would still go solar on multiple wells. Solar is about 1/2 the cost of wind and much easier to maintain.

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
    Lived on farms in my life, especially summers in west Texas and Southern OK. All of them Catle and Horse ranches, and all had water wells and no electricity. Not needed, they use windmills to pump water.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by SunEagle
    I had TV in the 50's although there were only 4 channels and all in
    black & white on a small round screen.

Today's kids now can't live without their frickin phones for 10 minutes.
    We only had 2 channels then; missed one network completely. My first TV was
    missing the pic tube and had continuous tuning (still have it). I learned that good
    sound was way more important than the picture. The old time radio guys
    understood that, and though the sound was only 1% of the bandwidth, the FCC
    enforced using 10% of the transmitting power for sound. The picture had to be
    REALLY snowy before you couldn't hear the program. Todays digital guys didn't
    get it; the sound drops out all the time.

My second TV had a 7JP4 crt. If you want to call, use my land line. My daughter
    eventually bought me an answering machine. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
    Sounds like paradise to me. I only got to visit farms up in NY state when I was much younger otherwise we lived in the suburbs of northmen NJ.---------------------I was lucky I had TV in the 50's although there were only 4 channels and all in black & white on a small round screen. --------------------I look forward to peace and quite when retire and move to my property in northern Florida. Pretty rural up there but I can still go without technology if needed.---------------------Today's kids now can't live without their frickin phones for 10 minutes.
    Make that 10 seconds to my observation.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Carl_NH View Post
    Lived on a farm until 73 and didn't have TV (in the 60s) and had a 12KW tractor generator when the power went out, to keep the farm running and not lose milk cooling and ventilation for the 2500 chickens laying eggs.
    Sounds like paradise to me. I only got to visit farms up in NY state when I was much younger otherwise we lived in the suburbs of northmen NJ.---------------------I was lucky I had TV in the 50's although there were only 4 channels and all in black & white on a small round screen. --------------------I look forward to peace and quite when retire and move to my property in northern Florida. Pretty rural up there but I can still go without technology if needed.---------------------Today's kids now can't live without their frickin phones for 10 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Carl_NH
    replied
    Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
    Your just showing your age SK. I bet they didn't have TV either.
    Lived on a farm until 73 and didn't have TV (in the 60s) and had a 12KW tractor generator when the power went out, to keep the farm running and not lose milk cooling and ventilation for the 2500 chickens laying eggs.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunking View Post
    Lived on farms in my life, especially summers in west Texas and Southern OK. All of them Catle and Horse ranches, and all had water wells and no electricity. Not needed, they use windmills to pump water.
    Your just showing your age SK. I bet they didn't have TV either.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X