Help with charging an iphone or other usb device.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gogo419
    • Aug 2011

Help with charging an iphone or other usb device.

Hi,

New to solar and really interested to learn as much as possible from this forum and hopefully decrease my families footprint over time.

My first project with solar Is to incorporate a flexible solar cell into bike messenger hip bags. I currently make a few small hip bags/pouches
    which attach to your belt to carry phone, wallet, spare tube, keys and maybe another small item.

What i was wanting help with is what size (voltage/watts?? im not sure what you measure it off?) solar panel would i require to charge an
    iphone or similar device off it? the surface area on my small bags/pouches which could have a flexi solar panel incorporated in to it measures approx 6X6 inches. (is this ok? or do my bags need to be bigger?

-Is this large enough for a solar panel powerful enough to charge an iphone/ipod/other type of phone?
    -With a solar panel this size is it possible to charge the device directly? or would it take to long? or just not possible and option is to have a
    battery installed in lining of bag as well?

Hopefully someone on the forum can untangle me from this problem?

And if you can recommend suitable solar panels that you think may be what i need for sale online thats a bonus!

Many thanks in advance Julian

ps. i did a search on forum but couldn't find anything that showed info i was after.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Real simple, 10 watt panel 12 volt panel, 10 watt 7 volt zener diode, and a 1 ohm 1 watt resistor.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• gogo419
      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Sunking
      Real simple, 10 watt panel 12 volt panel, 10 watt 7 volt zener diode, and a 1 ohm 1 watt resistor.

Sorry what do you mean by that? Im a real newbie and have very little electrical understanding... Please could you explain a little further?

Cheers

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by gogo419
        Sorry what do you mean by that? Im a real newbie and have very little electrical understanding... Please could you explain a little further?
        Cheers
        This electrical stuff is a little more complicated than getting a set of sparkplugs at the parts store, and changing them in your car.

I have a little photo pictorial of some simple circuit boards I built, you can look at that, look at some solar schematics, and read up about ohms law, zener diodes and how solar PV panels are current sources and not batteries.

Best is to take a basic electronics class at a school and then you will know the names of the thingiemabob and the watchamacallit.

PC board
        Schematic
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...