• Show
Clear All
  • GeorgeF
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2018

Fuses 12v system

I've read an article written by John Wiles,
    quote:
    Automotive fuses have no dc rating by the fuse industry or the testing laboratories
    and should not be used in PV systems. When rated by the manufacturer, they have
    only a 32-volt maximum rating, which is less than the open-circuit voltage from a 24-volt PV array. Furthermore, these fuses have no rating for interrupt current, nor are they generally marked with all of the information required for branch-circuit fuses.
    endquote

May I conclude that its OK to use automotive fuses when installing a 12v sistem with a 12volt panel or 12v panel array (parallel)?
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

You can at your own risk (automotive blade fuses with 2 metal foot tabs and plastic holder center)
    When I have seen them used, for circuits much over 5 amps, the crummy fuse holder does not grip the fuse tightly and the heating caused by contact resistance melts the fuse holder.
    I've seen several instances where this has happened. Marine fuse blocks are much better, and the MAXI fuses are much better.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• GeorgeF
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2018

Thanks Mike.

Comment

Working...