Small container cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small container cabin

Hi there. Looking for advice please. Proper advice is difficult to come by in South Africa.
    We have a small container home ( 20ft ) and are looking for a basic solar system. The wiring has been done in the cabin through a DB box and there are 3 LED lights installed inside and 4 LEDs outside. I am basically wanting a system that can charge 2 mobile phones, a laptop, 2 tablets and 60W camping fridge ( doesn't run all day ) during the day through the panels and then have ( minimal ) storage at night to run the 3 LEDs, the fridge and perhaps a mobile phone and tablet. I assume this will require a deep cycle battery. My understanding would be that I need maybe a 360W solar panel, a charge controller, an inverter ( not sure of W ) and perhaps 1 or 2 105AH deep cycle batteries. Any suggestions?

Well 2 x 105Ah 12V batteries wired in parallel can safely provide you about 630 watt hours per day (210ah x 12v x 25% = 630wh)

The reason I used a 25% multiplier is because you really don't want to discharge your battery system more than 25% each day. This formula only gives you a 2 day supply if you do not get enough sun to recharge it. That can drain your battery down to 50% SOC which may hurt it. If you use less than 630wh then you are in a better place but if you use more you do not have a big enough battery system or solar panel wattage.

It best to calculate your watt hour usage and then size your system. Just saying 4 LEDS and a tablet is not enough data to get your watt hour usage. If you do not know the wattage of your loads and how long they will run is a formula for an early death of your batteries.

Comment

Thank you for the info SunEagle.

Comment

Working...
      X