Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Umpa
    • Apr 2019

Victron Battery Protector

Hello, because of the lockdown I find more time to mess about it the solar shed. I have a Victron Battery Protect in between my bank of lead acid's and my inverter. I programmed the Victron to programme 4A which if I understand the instructions, means it will switch off power to the inverter if the voltage falls bellow 11.5v for 90 seconds on a 12v system. Can someone confirm that is correct ?

Am I correct in thinking that if my (old) batteries cannot sustain 11.5v for 90 seconds, then the Victron will allow the batteries to drain to 10.5v, at which point the inverter BP will kick in, sound an alarm and cut the power ?

Thanks

Ump..

Edit - here is a link to the instruction.
  • Bala
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2010

My take,

You have selected 4 A, if the voltage drops to 11.5 and does not recover after 90 seconds it will disconnect and not reconnect until the battery recovers to 13.8.

Default is 0 A, so if you pull it out of the box new and install it and dont touch it you will have cut out of 10.5 and cut back in 12.

Comment

• Umpa
      • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Bala
      My take,

You have selected 4 A, if the voltage drops to 11.5 and does not recover after 90 seconds it will disconnect and not reconnect until the battery recovers to 13.8.

Default is 0 A, so if you pull it out of the box new and install it and dont touch it you will have cut out of 10.5 and cut back in 12.
      Right, so using 4A as an example, if the battery continues to fall to 10.5v within the 90 seconds, then the Victron would do nothing as the discharge is to quick ?

Comment

• Bala
        Solar Fanatic
        • Dec 2010

Default is 0 A, so if you pull it out of the box new and install it and dont touch it you will have cut out of 10.5

Since you have now changed the setting to 4 A 11.5V, the default 0 A 10.5 is no longer in use.

So it will cut out if it is below 11.5 for 90 seconds, getting down to 10.5 will not change the cut out.

It has an operating range of 6 to 32 so it would probably cut out below 6.

Comment

• Umpa
          • Apr 2019

Default is 0 A, so if you pull it out of the box new and install it and don't touch it you will have cut out of 10.5

Since you have now changed the setting to 4 A 11.5V, the default 0 A 10.5 is no longer in use.

So it will cut out if it is below 11.5 for 90 seconds, getting down to 10.5 will not change the cut out.

It has an operating range of 6 to 32 so it would probably cut out below 6.
          You see - thats not whats happening. My battery seems not to be able to hold a voltage of 11.5 or above 10.5 for 90 seconds, hence the victron does not cut the current, which then relies on the inverter battery protect to kick in at 10.5v (which it does). I don't want the battery to be going lower than 11.5 6v will destroy it more than it already has been and again will do nothing as the inverter will auto shut off at 10.5v anyway.

I will ask Victron to confirm if what I think is actually happening.

Comment

• Bala
            Solar Fanatic
            • Dec 2010

You said your batteries are old, how old? It seems like they are not capable of supplying the current you need them to.

The time delay for cut out is to allow for quick V drop when a sudden load comes on like a fridge starting.

Comment

• Umpa
              • Apr 2019

You said your batteries are old, how old? It seems like they are not capable of supplying the current you need them to.

The time delay for cut out is to allow for quick V drop when a sudden load comes on like a fridge starting.
              Yes I know, so do you think my original thought process is correct ?

Comment

• Bala
                Solar Fanatic
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Umpa

Yes I know, so do you think my original thought process is correct ?
                Quite possibly,

So how old are they?

Comment

Working...