50 bat. Off-grid back-up system sizing, help needed.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evancanada
    • Feb 2020

50 bat. Off-grid back-up system sizing, help needed.

Hi,

I have 50x UPS12-400MR 12V 102Ah batteries

I would like to back up for 2 days: 5x 1 hp 120V 1 phase circulating pumps 5x1000W=5000W
    1x 120V 5A 1 phase blower 600W
    LED lights around 330W
    Total 9000W

My first question, can I combine 50 (48) batteries in one bank to make 4x12 48V 1224Ah system or what is a better solution?

My calculation: 9000Wx 12h= 108000Wh

x2= 234,78 kWh
    D.o.D /0.5= 469.56kWh
    /48V= 9782.5Ah I guess I need to reduce my load or use a generator!

My first question, can I combine 50 (48) batteries in one bank to make 4x12 48V 1224Ah system for back up or what is a better solution?
    What inverter and charge controller or hybrid inverter should I use?
    Please advise, what charging current should be applied for a bank like this? 140A?

• SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

I see a few issues with that battery bank.

First off you have 12 parallel strings of 4 x 12V batteries. That provides a very high chance of not equally charging or discharging them all which will lead to failures.

Next with a 48 x 12V 102Ah battery bank you will need over 120 amps of changing which will require multiple CC's since the largest most common can delivery only 80amps.

IMO you would be better off with a generator to run that pump because batteries (especially used UPS type) will be quickly killed off requiring you to purchase new ones.

Another solution would be to get low voltage (2v, 4v or 6v) high Amp Hour rated batteries and wire them in series to eliminate multiple parallel wired strings.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 02-11-2020, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• evancanada
      • Feb 2020

Originally posted by SunEagle
      I see a few issues with that battery bank.

First off you have 12 parallel strings of 4 x 12V batteries. That provides a very high chance of not equally charging or discharging them all which will lead to failures.

Next with a 48 x 12V 102Ah battery bank you will need over 120 amps of changing which will require multiple CC's since the largest most common can delivery only 80amps.

IMO you would be better off with a generator to run that pump because batteries (especially used UPS type) will be quickly killed off requiring you to purchase new ones.

Another solution would be to get low voltage (2v, 4v or 6v) high Amp Hour rated batteries and wire them in series to eliminate multiple parallel wired strings.
      Thank you so much for looking into this! I will consider the generator for sure.

I got the batteries almost for free and don't want to waste them.

Can I use them for back up just for the LED lights and the blower then? Where else I can use them?

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

There is a good reason used telecom batteries are so cheap - better to sell them for pennies to a sucker, than to have to pay disposal fees. When they refresh a plant, they have hundreds of the batteries that are considered industrial toxic waste.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Ampster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Mike90250
          There is a good reason used telecom batteries are so cheap - better to sell them for pennies to a sucker, than to have to pay disposal fees. When they refresh a plant, they have hundreds of the batteries that are considered industrial toxic waste.
          And the thing people don't realize is those batteries are designed to be maintained by trickle charge. They aren't designed for the deeper and more frequent discharge cycles that an off grid user would need them for.
          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• littleharbor
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2016

Typical lead acid AGM batteries can be recycled at any battery recycler. The last set I took in for recycle really surprised me. They were 105 pounds each and the recycler paid me 38 cents per pound for scrap value. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised, expecting to get about $15.00 per battery and getting over $38.00 each instead.
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• evancanada
              • Feb 2020

Thank you for your replies!

You think it is not a good idea to even try to back up the LED lights for 2-3 days with them?

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

The batteries are old, used and were removed from service because they are unrelaible, They may be good enough for your use, so have a go at it, but don't be surprised if they don't last 5 years.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

The batteries are old, used and were removed from service because they are unrelaible, They may be good enough for your use, so have a go at it, but don't be surprised if they don't last 5 years.
                  Or one year depending on how many are wired in parallel or can be charged anywhere close to 80% SOC.

Comment

Working...