My first solar system looking for constructive ideas to improve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first solar system looking for constructive ideas to improve

This is my first system (off grid) which started much smaller and evolved to its currant size and configuration. I'm looking for constructive criticism to highlight the weaknesses so when funds allow I can make the most cost effective improvements.

24v system, in the UK so output of panels vary greatly from a peak measurement of 2700w (average 1200w) on a 16 hour summer day to 150w peak to 70w average rain and continuous heavy cloud cover for 8 hours of daylight.

13kva single phase LPG generator (Kohler Commander 740LPG engine) open frame mounted in a block built hut with a wool lined transmission line air feed in and out, with 2 x 15" fans to provide enough pressure to keep the internal temperature below 60 C. Exhaust is feed from a small twin coupler/muffer to a large ex military muffler mounted on the side of the hut.

18 x 265w poly panels grouped in 9 series pairs they are wired at the panels to 9 DC trips that feed 2 pairs of 16mm cables (23 meter run, losses @70v and 30 amps is less than 1v) to two 60amp DC trips Powmr MPPT 60amp Solar chargers.

12 budget 12v 110ah leisure batteries wired in 6 parallel series pairs with an HA01 balancer on each pair. The batteries were purchased in 3 stages yes I know that is a bad idea but its how the funds and learning dictated.

The batteries feed via a 200amp DC isolator (on the 24v positive) a Chinese made hybrid 2000w inverter/solar charger/utility charger (I don't use the solar charger as its PWM not MPPT) When the generator runs it charges the batteries.

In the summer the generator is only needed to run my MIG welder and sliding bed table saw, all the other workshop kit runs on the inverter, so far this winter I've needed to run the generator on 14 occasions for a total of 43.1 hours to keep the batteries charged. The generator uses depending on load 3-5 kg of LPG an hour.

generator1.jpg

generator hut.jpggenerator2.jpginverter and charger.jpgpanel trips.jpg

battery bank.jpg
    HA01 balancer.jpg

Attached Files
Working...
X