Matching solar panel specifications query.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rorymax
    • Jul 2019

Matching solar panel specifications query.

I have 2 x 100w soalr panels in suitcase configuration connected to an Epever AN 30 MPPT controller, I am using this setup to charge a 115amp battery, in the near future I intend to increase the overall battery capacity.

My existing panels info shows 'Maximum Circuit Voltage: 22.6v' and 'VMP-Maximum Power Voltage 19.35'.

I am thinking of adding an 80w flexible panel to my existing controller.

Some of the panels I have viewed state they are 80w - 18 volt panels, others are describes as 80w - 12v panels.

None of the panels I have looked at show the same Maximum Circuit Voltage: (22.6v' ) and VMP-Maximum Power Voltage (19.35)' as my existing 100w panels.

Can I link up panels that do not have the exact same specification as my existing panels and achieve good results?

If I can link up non identical panels do I need to link in series or parallel (I would prefer both options) or is there something else I would need to do to make the entire setup effective.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Rorymax; 12-23-2019, 03:02 PM.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Mixing different panels can be an issue. When you are wiring them in Series the Vmp needs to be within 5% of each other. When you wire them in Parallel then the Imp needs to be within 5%.

The problem is that the lower rated panel (Vmp or Imp) drives the value of the other panels down to it so you lose some efficiency of the higher wattage panels.

Having a good MPPT type CC is the key to a good system but the panels also need to be as close in spec to each other for better operation.

Comment

• littleharbor
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2016

[QUOTE=SunEagle;n409504]Mixing different panels can be an issue. When you are wiring them in Series the Vmp needs to be within 5% of each other. When you wire them in Parallel then the Imp needs to be within 5%.

Sure that's not the other way around?
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

[QUOTE=littleharbor;n409528]
        Originally posted by SunEagle
        Mixing different panels can be an issue. When you are wiring them in Series the Vmp needs to be within 5% of each other. When you wire them in Parallel then the Imp needs to be within 5%.

Sure that's not the other way around?
        You may be correct and I am wrong. Something about the holidays makes my head a little fuzzy.

Comment

Working...