Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunny D
    • Nov 2019

Seeking advice on solar system setup

Happy solstice, and may the rays increase evermore in duration and intensity!

I’m a total newbie at solar and am currently trying to put together a solar system for my house. We are on the grid and are hoping to use a solar system that will be independent of the existing electrical to power certain applicances solely off solar.

i currently have 5 panels that are 235w, 36 voc, 8 isc. I have a midnight solar classic 250 charge controller, 6 k2b24v10be lifepo batteries, and a 2000w pure sine wave inverter.

I’m planning to string panels in series and having about 180 volts into the controller, step it down to 24v and parallel string the 6 batteries so that it’s 24v 60 amp and then to the 2000 w inverter.

The questions I have are
    a) does this make general sense
    b) should I have a circuit breaker or i linen fuse
    c) I heard that lifepo batteries aren’t as good in parallel. Any suggestions for this setup?
    d) anything I’m missing??

definitely learning as I go, and am wanting to learn so feel free to point out any points im overlooking or messing up! Rays of gratitude in advancer I
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

a) does this make general sense
    Yes for backup, but grid tie is is more efficient assuming your Power Compny offers some form of Net Energy Metering. Then you can use the batteries for load shifting if you have a Time of Use rate.
    b) should I have a circuit breaker or i linen fuse
    Circuit breakers are easier to manage and can be used as disconnects for maintenance.
    c) I heard that lifepo batteries aren’t as good in parallel. Any suggestions for this setup?
    LFPs are better than Lead Acid in parallel. I am currently using Nissan Leaf modules in parallel for my Inverter. I used LFP prismatics for years which consist of parallel pouch cells. Tesla uses a lot of small Lithium batteries in parallel. The only caveat is that they should be matched in terms of capacity.
    d) anything I’m missing??
    What are your loads? Do you have Net Metering and/or TOU rates?
    Last edited by Ampster; 12-20-2019, 11:28 PM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

With MPPT controllers, you have to weigh 3 conflicting factors

PV array voltage : higher = less loss in the cables, and ability to use thinner cables for long runs

Battery voltage higher = less loss in internal cables, but fewer appliances for direct DC usage, and less choices for inverters

Charge controller : the wider the spread from PV voltage to Battery voltage, the more internal conversion losses 1.4x highest battery voltage (you EQ voltage) is about the lowest you can feed into a decent MPPT controller, so it has enough headroom to work it's MPPT magic. As you get wider voltage differences, you incur more conversion losses in the controller and the fans on the Classic are noisy

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...