Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ninety-9 SE-L
    • Nov 2019

Supplementing my batteries without spoiling my harvest

So, quick breakdown. I have a 16' trailer that I use as a mobile workshop. I found that I can fit 6 160W PV panels on top yielding me about 960W.

The 12V panels will be in series pairs for 24V, 3 pairs to produce about 40A total, decided on an EPEVER 4215BN 40A charge controller, didn't oversize since I can't physically fit more panels, anyhow. Power will be going to 2 100Ah batteries in series for 24V. Batteries will output to a 24V/1500W Pure Sine inverter to run a dehumidifier @ ~600W. Hopefully everyone is OK with this math, I could always double my battery bank, later.

I'm hoping that the 600W dehumidifier runs intermittently, but I'm OK if it cuts out a few hours a day. I'm already aware that 960W IN for 6-8 hours isn't going to provide 24hours of 600W OUT, but it will certainly reduce my electricity bill.

I'm looking to purchase a Noco GX2440 40A, 24V battery charger to supplement my harvest and keep my batteries from running too low and cutting out the inverter. Some reviewers have been happy with this unit on their off-grid setup.

My question is: When and how should I have the GX2440 kick in? I would like if it could only kick on within a certain battery voltage range. I don't want to go below cut-out, but I also don't want to go above the point where I spoil my harvest. It would be a shame if the sun comes up, but the batteries are already fully charged from the grid.

I the 4215BN has a DC/load output, which can support a contactor relay. I'm just not sure if it can be programmed to operate within a certain window.

Any advice?
  • littleharbor
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

Without actual panel specs. I am still thinking that your amperage will be more like 20 something amps @ 24 volts nominal. When series wiring, the voltage adds and current remains so whatever your amperage is, times 3 is what to expect.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by littleharbor
      Without actual panel specs. I am still thinking that your amperage will be more like 20 something amps @ 24 volts nominal. When series wiring, the voltage adds and current remains so whatever your amperage is, times 3 is what to expect.
      It is possible that the EPEVER CC is a true MPPT unit that with 6 x160watt panels the OP could generate close to 40amps for a 24V battery system. Which may actually be too much for a 24V 100Ah system.

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Ninety-9 SE-L

My question is: When and how should I have the GX2440 kick in? I would like if it could only kick on within a certain battery voltage range.
        I used a combination of a programmable timer and a programmable voltage relay on the AC side of a charger to do what you want to accomplish.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Ninety-9 SE-L
          • Nov 2019

Thanks. Do you have any recommendations?

I found this one: http://www.intervolt.com/product/voltage-sensing-relays But it seems like it's not easy to find in the US.

Comment

• Ampster
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2017

Here is one that is popular among the EV conversion crowd.

9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Ninety-9 SE-L
              • Nov 2019

I wrote to intervolt. The one they offer looks great and will do exactly what I want it to do. Unfortunately, there won't be any new production until February, so that's not an option, for now.

Instead, I decided on a transfer switch that will automatically shift the load to grid if the batteries run under a certain setpoint: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F12RDZ2

Comment

• Ninety-9 SE-L
                • Nov 2019

Originally posted by SunEagle

It is possible that the EPEVER CC is a true MPPT unit that with 6 x160watt panels the OP could generate close to 40amps for a 24V battery system. Which may actually be too much for a 24V 100Ah system.
                How can I be sure if 40A is too much charging load?

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

How can I be sure if 40A is too much charging load?
                  The range of charging amps for most batteries is between 1/12th and 1/8th the Ah rating of your battery system. With a 100Ah battery that calculates out to 8 to 12 amps. 40amps would calculate to a 2.5 charge rate which is way too fast and can burn up your battery.

Comment

• Ninety-9 SE-L
                    • Nov 2019

Hmm, these are the batteries I'm using. I see someone is doing 20A. I might have to put a second bank in parallel, I guess. I don't have all my panels up, so I'm good for now, still piecing everything together. This is my main plan:

Attached Files
                    Last edited by Ninety-9 SE-L; 12-03-2019, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

In many cases (but not always) the gradual charging of the batteries from dawn to noon, insures they rarely see too many charging amps, their voltage rises as the solar increases and all pretty much self-regulates. The problem happens on a cloudy/ foggy morning, and the the haze burns off at 11:30AM Boom High amps into the low batteries. If you are able to switch off some of the PV strings in the combiner box, that can help prevent that big surge. All that requires manual baby sitting of the system . High end charge controllers have a max amps limit that can be programmed into the controller, so you can throttle you 80A controller to 32A, and not fry your batteries. My Morningstar and Classic both have that feature.
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Ninety-9 SE-L
                        • Nov 2019

As of right now, I only have 4 of the 6 panels purchased and installed. I just hooked up the PVs to the combiner box (Damn MC4 cables SUCK to crimp), so the charging side is complete.

Today is the first day I will charge my batteries, I don't expect I'm going to pull very many amps, the trailer is in a bad spot to get a lot of sunlight. Trees on both sides and the sun is pretty low because of winter.

Here's the setup, so far.

Comment

• Ninety-9 SE-L
                          • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250
                          In many cases (but not always) the gradual charging of the batteries from dawn to noon, insures they rarely see too many charging amps, their voltage rises as the solar increases and all pretty much self-regulates. The problem happens on a cloudy/ foggy morning, and the the haze burns off at 11:30AM Boom High amps into the low batteries. If you are able to switch off some of the PV strings in the combiner box, that can help prevent that big surge. All that requires manual baby sitting of the system . High end charge controllers have a max amps limit that can be programmed into the controller, so you can throttle you 80A controller to 32A, and not fry your batteries. My Morningstar and Classic both have that feature.
                          For the record, I was always under the impression that batteries only take what they need, for example, a 150A alternator isn't going to throw 150 Amps of charging power onto a car's battery, the battery simply draws out the current that it needs. What will kill the battery is keeping the voltage too high when it has reached float capacity.

Comment

• littleharbor
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2016

[QUOTE=Ninety-9 SE-L;n408828]As of right now, I only have 4 of the 6 panels purchased and installed. I just hooked up the PVs to the combiner box (Damn MC4 cables SUCK to crimp), so the charging side is complete.

Are you trying to crimp the MC-4 contacts onto the PV wire without a proper crimper? The MC-4 crimper makes this task pretty much a no-brainer. Seeing how the MC-4 die folds both tabs inti the wire and compresses the whole thing together I wouldn't recommend doing it any other way. Pretty much asking for problems.
                            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Ninety-9 SE-L
                              • Nov 2019

[QUOTE=littleharbor;n408834]
                              Are you trying to crimp the MC-4 contacts onto the PV wire without a proper crimper? The MC-4 crimper makes this task pretty much a no-brainer. Seeing how the MC-4 die folds both tabs inti the wire and compresses the whole thing together I wouldn't recommend doing it any other way. Pretty much asking for problems.
                              I used my Astro Pneumatic crimper:
                              81AXeexeasL._SL1500_.jpg

I went with the Open Barrel 4-6 that was recommended on a website I found. The crimp came out beautiful. The problem was all the IP68 crap and getting the connector put together. I think the problem was the Renogy MC4 cables I used had REALLY thick insulation. It was a pain to slide the blue compression sleeve up the wire and screw it tight. By the 2nd or 3rd connector, I came up with a system where I shaved some of the insulation off the cable so the compression sleeve would slide on.

user45970_pic12079_1519236580.jpg

Comment

Working...