Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed boat solar system

Hi all!

Just want to say this is a great site and I've learnt a heap from it before I actually joined; solar seems like one of those things that you can get be amazingly good if you get it right or an worse than nothing at all if you get the calculations wrong.

So bearing that in mind, I have done my best to calculate my very basic system to install on my overnight boat, but I thought I would post the details here as I know there is always more to learn.

I have only purchased the panels so far, and I thought it would run it past this forum before I go further.

2x Conergy 180W panels wired in series or parallel, based on the calculator below, I should be putting out less than 100v if I go series, even at 1 degree Celsuis, which is highly unlikely where I live. Parallel would not be a problem voltage wise obviously.

https://gold-coast-solar-power-solut...ge-calculator/

PV panel specs: http://www.burdickandburdick.com/Sol...0M%20Specs.pdf

I am running 2x Enirgi M2000 deep cycle batteries of approximately 100Ah each.

Considering the above, and being that the panels will be providing 360W / 12V = 30A, I have decided that an Epever Triron will be the best option for these panels as it provides enough leeway in the voltage for the panels, whereas a lot of other controllers max out at 50-60V.

One thing I am confused about is what amp rating do I need, because the panels say that their max Isc is 5.2A x2 panels in parallel = 10.4A I believed you had to divide panel watts by battery voltage to get amps, which gives me 180W / 12 = 15A x2 panels in parallel = 30A. So I'm somewhat confused as to what sized Triron I should be purchasing.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Cheers

Hello FordGT18 and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
      Hello FordGT18 and welcome to Solar Panel Talk
      Thankyou! Great forum!

Comment

Originally posted by FordGT18 View Post
        One thing I am confused about is what amp rating do I need, because the panels say that their max Isc is 5.2A x2 panels in parallel = 10.4A I believed you had to divide panel watts by battery voltage to get amps, which gives me 180W / 12 = 15A x2 panels in parallel = 30A. So I'm somewhat confused as to what sized Triron I should be purchasing.
        Hi FordGT18, welcome to the forum! There are a couple of important things about the panel:

1. It will only put out 180W in ideal conditions, and only if allowed to run at its max voltage and current values (36V and 5A). Most of the time it'll put out around 80% mid day, or less if laying horizontally.

2. An MPPT controller (like the Epever Triron) allows the panel to operate at around 36V and 5A, and converts that to an output of the same wattasge but different current and voltage (about 13A and 14V to the battery). Better yet, two panels in series would give you (under ideal conditions) about 26A and 14V, or around 360W. I think I would get the 30A version of that controller.

For fun, consider this: If you use a cheaper PWM controller with the same two panels in parallel, you'd get about 10A, x14V is about 140W. That's because the PWM controller doesn't convert the panel's full wattage like the MPPT controller does, instead it just connects the panel to the battery in an on/off fashion, and since the panel can only put out 5A, 5 x 14V = 70W, which isn't much from a 180W panel.

Comment

Thankyou very much for your advice sdold; I have purchased a 30A solar controller and will put it all together when it arrives!

Comment

Solar.jpgHi all,

Just a quick question.

I have finally set everything up at home to do a test run of the system before I do the final install.

I am finding that the system is only putting out 40-60w of power even though the sun is quite strong today. I have attached a screenshot to expl, in.

2x 180w panel connected in series.

My initial thought is that as the car battery I am using is already quite charged, is the system just telling me that it is only pulling what is needed from the panels for the job it needs to do? Ie, if I connected 3 discharged deep cycle batteries, the panel watts would jump up as the controller is needing to pull more from them to charge the batteries?

Thanks in advance for your input!
            Last edited by FordGT18; 11-19-2019, 08:21 PM. Reason: forgot to attach picture

Comment

if the battery is full, the controller sends only a trickle charge to it. Turn on a large load, bilge blowers and docking lights, see if that bumps up the solar harvest .
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                if the battery is full, the controller sends only a trickle charge to it. Turn on a large load, bilge blowers and docking lights, see if that bumps up the solar harvest .
                Hi, sorry about the late reply. Yes, I have found out that this is the case. I still haven't got it into the boat lol, but will do in due course. Massively busy right now as I'm sure most of us are!

Cheers

Comment

I suggest the Victron smart solar 100/20 with built in blutooth. It is what i have for my 2 175 watt panels in series. The app works terrific. Your panels are not 12 volt so a Pwm controller shouldnt be used. Only MPPT controller.
                  Last edited by gasnet; 06-27-2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Also no shading on a boat so go series not parallel

Comment

Working...
                    X