Controller not starting with discharged batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controller not starting with discharged batteries

In my cabin I have an off grid system with 1Kw panel, a Tristar 45TS controller and an inverter. A contractor ran over the line and broke the wire from the panels so the batteries did not get charged for 2 months. I repaired the line but the controller is getting 19.5 V from the panels but not starting. The battery bank has 6.5 V. The batteries were 13.5 V just before the break. I tried a spare Tristar 60 TS I had and also did not start. I read the controller manual and it said that the controller will not work unless the battery is at 9.5 V. What are you supposed to do? Charge your batteries another way such as using a generator?

Originally posted by Cris S View Post
    In my cabin I have an off grid system with 1Kw panel, a Tristar 45TS controller and an inverter. A contractor ran over the line and broke the wire from the panels so the batteries did not get charged for 2 months. I repaired the line but the controller is getting 19.5 V from the panels but not starting. The battery bank has 6.5 V. The batteries were 13.5 V just before the break. I tried a spare Tristar 60 TS I had and also did not start. I read the controller manual and it said that the controller will not work unless the battery is at 9.5 V. What are you supposed to do? Charge your batteries another way such as using a generator?
    You can try to charge them using another power source but IMO those batteries are toast and need to be replaced.

Comment

Shouldn't the inverter have turned off once the battery reach an unsafe low level?

Comment

Shouldn't the inverter have turned off once the battery reach an unsafe low level?
        It may have but there might have been some other load that drained the batteries over 2 months.

Comment

Thank you SunEagle

Comment

Thank you SunEagle
            You are welcome. Keep us informed on what you do and how it works out for you.

Comment

Maybe try a desulfator charger, mines brought a few batteries back from the dead

shem

Comment

Update. I connected a generator to the batteries (2 batteries @ 100 Amp) and in 2 hours the batteries were at 12.5 V. This should be close to 100% as normally the batteries are at 13.5 V. However, the controller had the yellow and red LED on, indicating the batteries are 0-30 % charged. I am not sure what the controller is saying. Thank you Shemdogg for the desulfator charger tip. I will get one. I must confess, that name sounds more like a nasty medical procedure.

Comment

Update. I connected a generator to the batteries (2 batteries @ 100 Amp) and in 2 hours the batteries were at 12.5 V. This should be close to 100% as normally the batteries are at 13.5 V. However, the controller had the yellow and red LED on, indicating the batteries are 0-30 % charged. I am not sure what the controller is saying. Thank you Shemdogg for the desulfator charger tip. I will get one. I must confess, that name sounds more like a nasty medical procedure.
                  Well actually most FLA batteries are only around 70% SOC with a voltage of 12.5v.

Comment

Working...
                  X