Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greghost
    • Apr 2019

Fuses an shutoffs for 4 panels in series

Hello I'm getting ready to install a 4- 100 watt mono panel roof mounted on a cedar shake roof.off grid system.My question is on fusing and shutoffs in system.I will be wiring the panels in series as I'm using a 40 amp mppt CC.My run from panels to CC is 25 ft I bought 8 gauge wire for extending to the CC.I will be using 6 gauge wire for grounding the panels to a ground rod for lightning protection I also bought an inline 30 amp fuse(with mp4 connectors) is this the correct fuse to use for this system?30 amp too much or not enough ?Also I will be putting a battery disconnect switch inside cabin between panels and CC on the positive line..I will only be using the cabin from time to time(every 2-3 weeks in summer ) and don't want the system up and running while Im not there.I have generator backup for power until the system gets turned on and batteries are charged.Are there any other shutoffs or fuses that should be placed between the batteries and the 600 watt inverter if so what size fuse?I will be using 2- 12 volt deep cycle marine batteries (new) I know its not the best choice but I had them on hand so I will use them to get started.I will only be running a small tv and a couple led lights with this system.Should they be wired in series or parallel ?Thank you for your responses ahead of time this is a great site and has been a great help to us beginners !!
    Last edited by greghost; 05-16-2019, 12:38 AM.
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by greghost
    Also I will be putting a battery disconnect switch inside cabin between panels and CC on the positive line..I will only be using the cabin from time to time(every 2-3 weeks in summer ) and don't want the system up and running while Im not there.I have generator backup for power until the system gets turned on and batteries are charged.
    most charge controllers need to be connected to the batteries BEFORE being connected to solar.
    Why would you disconnect the charge controller from the batteries? it is what is maintaining the batteries.

Are there any other shutoffs or fuses that should be placed between the batteries and the 600 watt inverter if so what size fuse?
    You should have fuses or breakers before ANY load including the inverter. A disconnect for the inverter would be good unless it has an on/off switch.

​​​​​​​
    I will be using 2- 12 volt deep cycle marine batteries (new) I know its not the best choice but I had them on hand so I will use them to get started.I will only be running a small tv and a couple led lights with this system.
    ​​​​​​​
    Should they be wired in series or parallel ?
    Is your inverter 12V or 24V if the inverter is 24V then series.
    ​​​​​​​If it is 12V then your only choice is parallel
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• greghost
      • Apr 2019

I will not be at cabin for weeks at a time and don't want system up and running while I'm not there hence the shutoff before the CC.I have a generator to charge batterys up when I arrive.The Charge controller is a renogy 40 amp mppt and it automatic detects 12 or 24 volt so are batteries better off in paralell or series? As I said 4-100 panels in series with a 30 amp inline fuse with mp4 connectors,correct size? Also I will be adding a 40 amp fuse between the CC and the battery bank.Does this sound OK other than adding more batteries in the future?

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Batteries behave in a more stable manner in series.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

I will not be at cabin for weeks at a time and don't want system up and running while I'm not there hence the shutoff before the CC.I have a generator to charge batterys up when I arrive.The Charge controller is a renogy 40 amp mppt and it automatic detects 12 or 24 volt so are batteries better off in paralell or series? As I said 4-100 panels in series with a 30 amp inline fuse with mp4 connectors,correct size? Also I will be adding a 40 amp fuse between the CC and the battery bank.Does this sound OK other than adding more batteries in the future?
          Any security considerations ? As like will the panels be there when I come back ?

Comment

Working...