DC Power Distribution For Batteries/Inverter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Power Distribution For Batteries/Inverter

So I'm on to my next project - looking to setup the main cabin at our remote property with an off-grid system.

I have settled on two strings of 900W (300w X3) panels, each on their own MPPT charge controller. Roof angles and shading are going to be issues, so all about over-panelling and maximizing output during the hours I have some sun on the panels.

Now, on my previous systems, I only needed to have a single #1awg DLO cable and a single #8awg cable from the battery, for the inverter and charge controller. There was no other loads, so I just stacked the #8 on top of the #1 at the battery terminal.

This setup, I'm planning to have 2 charge controllers (#6awg cables), and inverter cable (#1awg), and a DC fridge hookup (#8-#10awg). That is a lot to "stack" at the 5/16" battery terminal stud.
    So I'm looking at making a bus bar setup. Insulators are cheap enough off the overseas sites (or I might be able to snag a couple from a local used electrical supplier) to mount the bus bars and I can pickup some copper bar for relatively cheap. Drill a few holes and everything gets it's own bolt to terminate at. Happy electrical. I've used ANL fuses for my inverters previously, and was planning to do the same this time. One for the + battery bank/busbar cable, and another for the + busbar/inverter cable. I made up a din-mount breaker box last time inside a metal 8x8x6 enclosure.

Alternatively, I've just seen the thread talking about using MRBF products from BlueSea and they look interesting. What is everyone else doing/what do you suggest for larger systems like this?
    I don't see how I can stack 4 of these on a single battery terminal.
    burndy crimp.JPG

Picturing This Setup x2 - one for Pos and one for Neg
    copper busbar.jpg

This is what I've sketched up to help illustrate my thinking.
    busbar layout.jpg

Instead of using the copper busbar picture above, I also found bluesea has some interesting busbar options that I could use instead. Maybe use the fused option for the the inverter and the two charge controllers? Could probably just stack the fridge's cable's ring terminal at the battery and use an inline automotive fuse (although I don't love that idea). Wish Bluesea made a 4 fuse block.
    bluesea fuse bus.jpegbluesea 6term bus.jpg
    (Bluesea 5196 Fuseblock & 2126 busbar)

Anyone else have any ideas? Seems tricky to have 150A to 30A range fuses in one spot to cover all my needs.
    Open to ideas, pictures are welcome!
    Attached Files

I say go with the Bluesea 5196 Fuseblock, nice gear, and protection right at the battery if you have the space there. I use their dual fuse blocks all the time
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I'm thinking I'll throw the single fuse unit on the battery with a 150 or 200A fuse to protect everything, then run the 3 fuse block for distribution.
      ​​​​​
      just curious what everyone else is doing.

Comment

Working...
      X