• Show
Clear All
  • Agentblue
    • Mar 2019

Help needed ..head spinning

First post be gentle.
    Thanks for the add.

Now to pick your brains.

Mate gave me a 20a PWM controller .(brand new)
    I have the chance to purchase either 250w panels

​​​​​100 brand new mono specs 30v vmp and imp 8.33a. (assume this is a grid tied panel) or 85w panel 40 pounds, used poly 18v vmp imp 4.7a

My head is spinning .
    I want it to power 3 led strip lights , a small 12v cig lighter , security led light and at a later stage an inverter to power a running machine in my garage. Not interested in running an electric cable to garage as I want to go solar. Have enough room to fit two 250w panels without mounting on roof which will get sunlight for approx 6 hrs a day without shade.
    Either I purchase one 250w mono or 2 85w poly??
    do I need more than one 12v 120ah deep cycle battery .

To be clear I want to be able to add to system when I add running machine to garage at later stage but not essential if total cost of solar exceeds 500 pounds.
    Thanks for help in advance 👍
    Last edited by Agentblue; 03-31-2019, 09:45 AM.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

You cannot use the 30 volt panels on a 12 volt system with a PWM charger. Must use a MPPT charger.

Have a nice day.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Agentblue
      • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Sunking
      You cannot use the 30 volt panels on a 12 volt system with a PWM charger. Must use a MPPT charger.

Have a nice day.
      So my option is 2x85w panels with pwm ...or 250w with mppt charger ?

Am I right in saying the 2x 85w will give me 9amps?
      What size deep cycle battery will I need ? To give the battery a decent charge over 1 to 2days ? And will it be sufficient to run the lights and 12v socket ?

Sorry for all the questions .

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

> 85w panel 40 pounds, used poly 18v vmp imp 4.7a

2 of those 85w panels in parallel will get you in real life, about 7 amps. Just like the 37mpg car gives you 29mpg

That would run a couple small lights, but not much of an inverter . sorry
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• QuantumSlice
          • Oct 2017

I have done a couple of 12v projects.

First project was a solar charge for my 40 foot boat batteries. MPPT charge controller is what I used. Very cheap, very good. 100 W solar panel into the MPPT controller. Works great. Even had a second DC circuit it would support. Get your equation going: Power = current * voltage. Size the MPPT appropriately, they had specs on it that i compared to what i was trying to do.

The second time I got into 12v project - my cargo van conversion - i simply got a Yeti400 Lithium and Yeti compatible solar panel. These are fun devices that simplify everything. Gives you an independent amperage display of charge and usage. Didn't have to think about it.

Comment

Working...