Looking for switch, ~70v DC, 12 amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for switch, ~70v DC, 12 amps

I'm looking for a switch to turn off my solar panels from inside my cabin. The power coming in will be max, 70 volts and 12 amps. The highest DC switch I can find is 60 volts, most only go up to 48v. I have a Midnite solar combiner at the panels with breakers, but I also want a switch inside to kill the power between the panels and charge controller if needed. Is there a good option out there without going with a solar breaker box and a high voltage DC breaker? Would a 60v marine master switch do the trick?

Not to hijack, but I am also looking for roughly the same thing. In my case, I could see up to 85V on cold mornings.

For the short-term, I only have 1x36V Panel hooked up going through this breaker rated to 32V. I have hooked up both panels in series and saw ~70V for a short time and it also worked ok. Not sure how the higher voltage will affect the life of the breaker or if it could cause a dangerous situation over time though.

Comment

SPFycool, I don't think you want to do that. Sounds like you are looking for circuit protection and a switch. I'm strictly looking for a switch, I have the correct circuit protection at my panels. If you are using a breaker rated at too low of a voltage, it may not work like it should. If I understand it correctly, the higher voltage may be able to jump the gap if it trips, not even allow it to trip, or possibly start a fire during a trip. Midnite solar makes the proper breakers. I believe they are rated to 100v DC and they have whatever current you need. I was trying to get anyway from another breaker box and breaker with a simple switch.

Comment

Midnite breakers are rated for 150 and 300 volts.
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Midnight solar has low cost ($22) 150VDC switch duty rated breakers, You can get a panel mount version that could install in a simple metal box, but you have to cut a retangular hole for the breaker toggle. Sometimes paying the price for the right box is cheaper

I would not use 32V gear on a 60v application, it's sure to cause arcing and then at some point - failure. DC is what arc welders use, and the switches & breakers are designed with an arc chute to assist blowing the arc out.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
            Midnight solar has low cost ($22) 150VDC switch duty rated breakers, You can get a panel mount version that could install in a simple metal box, but you have to cut a retangular hole for the breaker toggle. Sometimes paying the price for the right box is cheaper

I would not use 32V gear on a 60v application, it's sure to cause arcing and then at some point - failure. DC is what arc welders use, and the switches & breakers are designed with an arc chute to assist blowing the arc out.
            If you go with the Midnight breakers, remember that they are polarized. You must make sure you orient them for the correct direction of current flow when switching or they will not last.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

If you're looking for a non switching/isoation isconnect type setup, you could use a small SqD panel and breaker. Therrated to 125VDC, but you might as well go with Midnite products, since it's probably less expensive.

Comment

Working...
              X