Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bd0t
    • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250
    > I'll probably go with the Morningstar TS-MPPT-45 unless the 60amp model is the better move in order to not have to worry about upgrading later.

The 60A has a nice web interface in it. the 45 does not

Alright the TS-MPPT-60 says it can handle up 1600w array on a 24v system. I'll probably go that route.

And (4)260w panels wired in a series. This will give me a C/10 charge rate if I choose to keep my battery bank (400ah) at its current setup (8 x 200AH batteries wired series and parallel).
    If I reduce my battery bank to 200ah when the time comes to replace batteries, @ C/6 charge rate the math works out to about 3.34 x 260w panels, will the 4 panels be okay? Assuming theres some times when the panels are slightly shaded and not 100% exposed to sun all daylight hours which is the case.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Used Jinko 260W Solar Panel Made in Canada
      model : JKM-260P
      Vm: 31.1V
      Im: 8.37A
      Voc: 38.1V
      Nope. The controller has a 150V limit. 4 panels in series gets you 160V and a fried controller.

You are going to have to use 2 in series, paralleled with the other 2 in series
      That will barely charge a 24V bank, but now, your other problem is shade. These are solar panels. and when not in full sun casting a sharp shadow, they will produce much less power.
      Anything you can do to remove shade, will result in better battery health.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• NorthRick
        • Aug 2015

That will barely charge a 24V bank,
        2 in series would be a Vm of 62.2v. That's not enough for a 24v bank?

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Originally posted by NorthRick
          2 in series would be a Vm of 62.2v. That's not enough for a 24v bank?
          On a hot day, it may be that the panel voltage will sag so much the MPPT can no longer function, the morningstar site should cover the PV array needed for charging. Remember, a 24V bank can need up to 31V sometimes for EQ. MPPT generally needs 1.3x the high battery voltage to downconvert

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• bd0t
            • Mar 2019

Nope. The controller has a 150V limit. 4 panels in series gets you 160V and a fried controller.

That will barely charge a 24V bank, but now, your other problem is shade. These are solar panels. and when not in full sun casting a sharp shadow, they will produce much less power.
            Anything you can do to remove shade, will result in better battery health.
            Ah, good eye.

Unfortunately there isn't much I can do about the shade at certain points in the day other than clear cutting a forest or having the array on a 100ft pole above the tree canopy.

I've attached a pic of the results from the Morningstar website. Their recommendation is the 6 panels (3 in a series x 2)
            Solar Calculation.jpg

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Can you get 2 more panels ?

Comment

• bd0t
                • Mar 2019

Can you get 2 more panels ?
                Yep, getting panels is no problem.

I'm heading up to the cottage tomorrow, if there is anything you guys would like pictures of to help make recommendations I'd be more than happy to do so.
                I'll also take some notes about the actual loads of everything and what type of wiring I currently have. Sunking has me spooked about wiring after going back and re-reading this little tidbit of info regarding my inverter.

"Th eother trap you have built for yourself is a 24 volt 4000 watt Inverter will require a 200-Amp circuit. That brings safety and workmanship baggage you are going to have to deal with. 200-camp 24 vdc circuit will require a minimum 2/0 AWG copper. Not many can terminate that size wire properly as it takes some expensive tooling and training to do correctly. If not done correctly you run high risk of fire and failure."

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

uh oh. the wire table I use disagrees:
                  > 200-camp 24 vdc circuit will require a minimum 2/0 AWG copper
                  best hi-temp wire I see (90c) is only 195A, 200A I would use 3/O (70c) 200A rated

Comment

• bd0t
                    • Mar 2019

uh oh. the wire table I use disagrees:
                    > 200-camp 24 vdc circuit will require a minimum 2/0 AWG copper
                    best hi-temp wire I see (90c) is only 195A, 200A I would use 3/O (70c) 200A rated

Yeah I gotta check on the wires that are already installed, hopefully whoever installed it all wasn't a complete hack. Luckily I have a couple close friends that are electricians in residential settings that I can call for help.

This cable will run from the inverter to the fuse panel right? I'd assume that the panel would have to be a 200amp panel?

I've attached the specs for my particular inverter.

Mangasine 4024 - Specs.jpg

Comment

• littleharbor
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by bd0t

Yeah I gotta check on the wires that are already installed, hopefully whoever installed it all wasn't a complete hack. Luckily I have a couple close friends that are electricians in residential settings that I can call for help.

This cable will run from the inverter to the fuse panel right? I'd assume that the panel would have to be a 200amp panel?

I've attached the specs for my particular inverter.

Mangasine 4024 - Specs.jpg
                      Careful asking your electrician friends about your off grid set up. From my experience residential and commercial electricians can be really good at what they do till you put DC power into the mix. They don't all get direct current and can get into trouble. If they have experience doing off grid, battery based systems your odds of problems are decreased.
                      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Working...