Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tony Wright
    • Jan 2019

Solar for off-grid security system

I am considering installing a solar powered security camera system for our summer trailer that has no mains power during the winter. When I do the sizing calcs it seems that the system is bigger than I expected and I would appreciate some comments.

First some background
    The trailer is in southern Ontario so winter temperature and snow are issues.
    I want to monitor and control the solar and security system remotely and already have good internet
    Based on my research to-date I don't want battery operated or separate solar powered cameras. Everything I read says they don't work very well, particularly in the winter, and I don't want to be going back to the trailer every couple of weeks to change batteries.
    I would really like a NVR (network video recorder) system that stores video data on site.

I haven't been able to get definitive data on power requirements but it seems that the cameras consume up to 8 watts each (I need at least two but preferably four) and the NVR about 30 watts plus a router and modem say 20 watts. That makes 82 watts total. I am new to this but it seems to indicate I need 4X100 watt panels and 300 amp/hour 12V batteries. That is more than I anticipated just for a bunch of cameras. Are my calcs anywhere close?

The kicker is that a security system usually runs 24 hrs which bumps up the total watts so I would consider fewer cameras or having a system where I could turn off some of the cameras remotely to save power. I don't really want to give up the NVR and store data in the cloud as that can be expensive.

Has anyone done a similar project?

Thanks
    Tony
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Actually your battery size and panel wattage is low from my calculations.

With 82 watts being consumed 24 hours a day you will be using 1968 watt hours. Round that up to 2000 watt hours to be safe.

A 12volt battery system needs to be sized for 5 times what you use in a day due to multiple days of bad or sunless weather. So 2000wh x 5 / 12volt = 833Ah

That size battery will need about 83 amps of charging so to get that you will need to use an 80amp MPPT and 1000 watts of panels.

So as you stated it is not easy to run a security cam system 24 hours by solar/battery. Especially when you can be guaranteed that it will never be sunny 365 days a year.

There have been other people on the Forum that have tried to build a system similar to you. Maybe they can drop in with their comments.

Just remember you can go with a smaller battery and less panel wattage but you will be sacrificing your batteries because they will not last any where near their stated cycle count.

Comment

• Paul Land
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Tony Wright
      I am considering installing a solar powered security camera system for our summer trailer that has no mains power during the winter. When I do the sizing calcs it seems that the system is bigger than I expected and I would appreciate some comments.

First some background
      The trailer is in southern Ontario so winter temperature and snow are issues.
      I want to monitor and control the solar and security system remotely and already have good internet
      Based on my research to-date I don't want battery operated or separate solar powered cameras. Everything I read says they don't work very well, particularly in the winter, and I don't want to be going back to the trailer every couple of weeks to change batteries.
      I would really like a NVR (network video recorder) system that stores video data on site.

I haven't been able to get definitive data on power requirements but it seems that the cameras consume up to 8 watts each (I need at least two but preferably four) and the NVR about 30 watts plus a router and modem say 20 watts. That makes 82 watts total. I am new to this but it seems to indicate I need 4X100 watt panels and 300 amp/hour 12V batteries. That is more than I anticipated just for a bunch of cameras. Are my calcs anywhere close?

The kicker is that a security system usually runs 24 hrs which bumps up the total watts so I would consider fewer cameras or having a system where I could turn off some of the cameras remotely to save power. I don't really want to give up the NVR and store data in the cloud as that can be expensive.

Has anyone done a similar project?

Thanks
      Tony
      I am working on sys with IR motion detection Cam Yag antenna wifi-PC Base, PV/AMG Batts and Box per cam. 3 systems total
      BTW. DVR would be at remote location where I will be located Opera Snapshot_2018-12-24_091137_www.amazon.com.png
      Last edited by Paul Land; 01-15-2019, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...