X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dwill
    • Jan 2019

Sizing battery calculation

Hello,

I am working on sizing battery for a offgrid site and selecting the right genset. The load required 755A at 600 V (AC), 3 phases. It has 3 peak power demand a day( 10 sec 45 mins long) which add another 185 A to the load. Maintance will occur 4 times a year which batteries need to supply 342 A at 600V with no peak event ( duration of 3 hours need to supply)

- Total Peak demand 940 A at 600 V

This is just a theorical case which I need to select the most appropriate type and size of equipment to meet the energy demand.

I was just wondering where can I start doing my research about this case. I already have the load and the the power that it needs.

Questions:

-In general, when they give you the current and voltage for a load. can you simple calculate the real power from A&V or it is actually giving you the KVA? I am confusing as the info does not giving you any power factor.

-As I need to build a comparison of what is the best option for this load. where do I start my building my designing? starting on what type of genset is available in the market for this load or from the battery?

-What equipment do I need to considerate in a fuel generator with a solar arrays panel and the battery storage? I will not considerate the installation aspect or the switching process from gen to battery. I know converter inverted are involved

I would really appropriated a help in this case
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

> - Total Peak demand 940 A at 600 V

Good thing this is only theoretical. 564kva is not possible unless you might be in a nuke sub.

Real power for loads depends on the Power Factor (PF) of the load. Some loads are .6 and some .98.

In real life..... Your site with it's 940 A at 600 V load, would have 3 primary gensets, each one about 700kva, and maintainance is done on one, while a working spare is idle, and the 3rd is producing power.

Request a quote for diesel generators online now. Our safe, efficient, and reliable commercial and industrial diesel generators are excellent backup power sources capable of functioning at the highest level under challenging conditions. Discover all of our diesel commercial generators at Americas Generators.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...