Off Grid Garage Workshop Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Grid Garage Workshop Building

I want to start with a small portable solar system that I can add-on to the solar system in future as my energy requirement increases in the future. The portable solar system will be used on an off grid garage/workshop, and eventually on a camper. I want to be able to take portable solar system off the garage and use on camper when I travel, then when I return to home base I can use solar system on garage again. I know I need to calculate all tools and other devices that will be powered by the solar system; my main question for this forum is advice for a portable system capable of growing with increasing energy requirement.

Originally posted by handcraftermaggie View Post
    I want to start with a small portable solar system that I can add-on to the solar system in future as my energy requirement increases in the future. The portable solar system will be used on an off grid garage/workshop, and eventually on a camper. I want to be able to take portable solar system off the garage and use on camper when I travel, then when I return to home base I can use solar system on garage again. I know I need to calculate all tools and other devices that will be powered by the solar system; my main question for this forum is advice for a portable system capable of growing with increasing energy requirement.
    What tool are you talking about and if your talking about power tool other then hand power tools PV system will be to large for RV.
    rv sol.png

Comment

The biggest problem with "growing" an off grid system is that you should not add new batteries to an old system so all of the batteries would need to be replaced. The older batteries will hurt the new ones and shorten their lifespan.

Second is usually the first charge controller purchased is too small to add more panels so it gets replaced or you purchase a big CC based on your final system design. That can get expensive.

Third is finding new panels to match the specs (Vmp, Imp, Voc) of your old ones may be difficult if the old ones have been phased out. The panel specs should stay within a specific range so that the "weaker" panels do not bring down the output of the newer ones.

And finally starting off small usually means you have undersized your batteries based on your watt hour requirements. That usually results in killing of the batteries way before you want them to go.

Comment

In a nut shell. If you want to expand your PV system put together a system that is larger than your current needs then grow into it. When it comes time for new batteries re evaluate your needs and decide where you will be going from there.

You can double the amount of panels in your array by switching from a 12 volt to a 24 volt system so you won't necessarily outgrow your charge controller.

Provided your voltage and amperage of added panels is within 10% of original panels you would be fine adding different panels. 60 cell grid tie panels are much cheaper than small 12 volt panels. If you have room to use them on whatever trailer you intend you can save money by using them. One thing about 60 cell panels is you need to use a MPPT controller with them. These controllers cost more than a basic PWM controller but will harvest more power from your solar panels.

Don't cheap out on components and they should serve you well for a long time.

As to the inverter you may have in your system, you should be able to sell it, if and when you step up to a higher voltage system.

As to portability, this isn't something you just pop open and set on the ground. If you are referring to something like that, no, those systems are not really expandable.

2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
          The biggest problem with "growing" an off grid system is that you should not add new batteries to an old system so all of the batteries would need to be replaced. The older batteries will hurt the new ones and shorten their lifespan.

Second is usually the first charge controller purchased is too small to add more panels so it gets replaced or you purchase a big CC based on your final system design. That can get expensive.

Third is finding new panels to match the specs (Vmp, Imp, Voc) of your old ones may be difficult if the old ones have been phased out. The panel specs should stay within a specific range so that the "weaker" panels do not bring down the output of the newer ones.

And finally starting off small usually means you have undersized your batteries based on your watt hour requirements. That usually results in killing of the batteries way before you want them to go.
          Good advice, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
            In a nut shell. If you want to expand your PV system put together a system that is larger than your current needs then grow into it. When it comes time for new batteries re evaluate your needs and decide where you will be going from there.

You can double the amount of panels in your array by switching from a 12 volt to a 24 volt system so you won't necessarily outgrow your charge controller.

Provided your voltage and amperage of added panels is within 10% of original panels you would be fine adding different panels. 60 cell grid tie panels are much cheaper than small 12 volt panels. If you have room to use them on whatever trailer you intend you can save money by using them. One thing about 60 cell panels is you need to use a MPPT controller with them. These controllers cost more than a basic PWM controller but will harvest more power from your solar panels.

Don't cheap out on components and they should serve you well for a long time.

As to the inverter you may have in your system, you should be able to sell it, if and when you step up to a higher voltage system.

As to portability, this isn't something you just pop open and set on the ground. If you are referring to something like that, no, those systems are not really expandable.
            Good advice, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Land View Post

What tool are you talking about and if your talking about power tool other then hand power tools PV system will be to large for RV.
              rv sol.png
              Thanks for your comment. As I stated in my original statement " I know I need to calculate all tools and other devices that will be powered by the solar system; my main question for this forum was for advice for a portable system capable of growing with increasing energy requirement." The advice from Little Harbor and Sun Eagle was solid and right on. I appreciate everyone's comments, thanks. Happy Holidays! Merry Christmas!

Comment

Originally posted by handcraftermaggie View Post

Thanks for your comment. As I stated in my original statement " I know I need to calculate all tools and other devices that will be powered by the solar system; my main question for this forum was for advice for a portable system capable of growing with increasing energy requirement." The advice from Little Harbor and Sun Eagle was solid and right on. I appreciate everyone's comments, thanks. Happy Holidays! Merry Christmas!
                You are welcome. You can size your system to be in the moderate range without wasting a lot of money. Just be aware that the first set of batteries are the "Test set" and most people abuse them when they first start out.

Comment

Working...
                X