New system up and running!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New system up and running!

Well I finally finished my offgrid power system. Thanks for all the input. Not everything is exactly as I wanted but here is what I ended up with 3920 watts of Stion 140 panels, Midnite Solar classic 200, Schnider sw4048, 8-crown CR-430 batteries. I am in Michigan near the 45th parallel.

I am pretty happy with things so far, but have a few questions. It seems that I have plenty of power available and typically use 10-15% soc a day. On sunny days it charges pretty quickly and am usually in float by noon or sooner. I use the generator after a couple cloudy days. Given my setup would there be any benefit to the "Max smoke Method" or as long as I am reaching float don't worry about it? The charge settings for the batteries are bulk 58.1, float 54, equalize 61.9.

I have noticed that i get the highest specific gravity reading after a long float period after a sunny day or equalization. If i check specific gravity right after equalization or asorb it is 1.265 if it continues to float for for several hours I get readings of 1.275. So my question is a period of float necessary to achieve 100% charge? I was going to start playing with settings and increasing my voltages to see if I get any response.

Thank You

as long as you have enough sun to complete Absorb cycle at least 2x a week, you should be ok
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I have my absorb time set to 4hrs, then it goes to float. That timing has worked out well for me over almost 6 years.
      1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Setting the absorb hours is just the maximum. It will switch to float once the amps taper off.

Comment

On a different note I have noticed that my classic 200s cooling fan cycles a lot on sunny days even with no load. I understand why it does when amps are high. Is there something about having all that potential energy available that is causing heat even if the load is light. It will climb up to 150v dc incoming, but should be ok for the 200.

Comment

Hi All,

Just noticed you having some issues posting, the form software is very sensitive to characters it doesnt like and that includes fonts, it hates posts from phones especially apple phones and it just cant handle apostrophies, these are all anti spamming measures that are working very well, BUT it can be very frustrating for newbs until they work it out, so the moral of the story post with your computer where possible and dont use fancy fonts or characters used by spammers,

Comment

Ok thanks I just assumed the forum was run by my 11th grade English teacher. Bad habits die hard. Lol never start s sentence with isn t. If you know it to be true state it as fact if not ask a proper question. Anyway I maybe wrong about the absorb time, that is how my sw4048 works. I am not sure that is how my classic works. Off to do some research.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCountry View Post
                On a different note I have noticed that my classic 200s cooling fan cycles a lot on sunny days even with no load. I understand why it does when amps are high. Is there something about having all that potential energy available that is causing heat even if the load is light. It will climb up to 150v dc incoming, but should be ok for the 200.
                I have a MN classic 200 as well...it does the same you describe
                1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Working...
                X