Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jfconst
    • Nov 2018

Generator support

Looking for a 48v inverter that has 2 a.c. inputs. Capable of one being 120v and the other being 240v. Also has to have generator support. Does such a thing exist? Another option would be a 240v generator in the 1500 to 2000 watt range. Thanks in advance for any help
  • Paul Land
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Jfconst
    Looking for a 48v inverter that has 2 a.c. inputs. Capable of one being 120v and the other being 240v. Also has to have generator support. Does such a thing exist? Another option would be a 240v generator in the 1500 to 2000 watt range. Thanks in advance for any help
    How are you configuring this? AC Inputs/ Outputs I'am confused AC to AC?

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Looking for a 48v inverter that has 2 a.c. inputs.
      Many off-grid Hybrid do. ( ih have an XW6048, gen support is awesome)

Capable of one being 120v and the other being 240v.
      Nope. they are either 120 or 240. Have to use a transformer to boost a 120V genset up to 240V

Also has to have generator support. Does such a thing exist?
      Many off-grid do.

Another option would be a 240v generator in the 1500 to 2000 watt range. Thanks in advance for any help
      I did this last summer, while doing battery maintenance. Used an EU2000 and a transformer. Also used a bulk fuel adapter cap to run overnight.

Attached Files
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Jfconst
        • Nov 2018

Thanks Mike. How much efficiency do you loose through the transformer? Also tell me more about the bulk fuel adapter. Does the sw4048 have dual inputs?

Comment

• Jfconst
          • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Paul Land

How are you configuring this? AC Inputs/ Outputs I'am confused AC to AC?
          An inverter that has the ability to accept two a.c. inputs. One for a big generator and one for a small generator.

Comment

• Paul Land
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2018

An inverter that has the ability to accept two a.c. inputs. One for a big generator and one for a small generator.
            MS4448PAE will work with AGS Just pig-tail 120v & 240v and run 1 gen at a time Or use pig Adpt, pig.png
            Last edited by Paul Land; 12-12-2018, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• Jfconst
              • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Paul Land

MS4448PAE will work with AGS Just pig-tail 120v & 240v and run 1 gen at a time Or use pig Adpt, pig.png
              Pae doesn't have generator support

Comment

• ElliotJ
                • Nov 2018

Conext XW+ series (120/240 V) has 2 ac inputs. One for grid and the other for a generator. It might be possible to use them both, one at 120vac and the other 240vac. You would need to look into it more or contact Schneider Electronics for a definitive answer.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

I don't think the XW gear is flexible voltage. you configure it for 120 or 240. Charging through a transformer is only 2-5% loss.
                  I don't know what the SW series capability is, I can only speak to the XWwhich I own and use.

The EU series has a suction fuel pump, and instead of a vented cap, you use a sealed cap with a suction line to pull fuel from a 2nd tank. flea bay has kits with fuel cap & oil filler extension
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Paul Land
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2018

remot.pnggen.png

Pae doesn't have generator support
                    My MS-PAE with AGS works with gen-set, it all in the MS Remote setup/config, without remote your right. As Batts hit Remote AGS set-point AC/Charging power to home circuits kicks in.no power interruptions and charging begins automatically. The MS4348PE has 240v pass thru great if your on a boat with shore-power. but I like K.I.S.S.
                    Last edited by Paul Land; 12-12-2018, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• hammick
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2015

I had the SW4048 for about a year. It allowed 120v charging through one leg. Can't remember if it had two AC inputs though. All the manuals are on Schneider's website. Unfortunately (actually fortunately) my SW4048 fried a large capacitor because of a software issue. Schneider took them off the market for about six months. They upgraded me to the XW5548 gratis.

The XW inverters cannot charge with a 120v genset unless you configure the XW for 120v only. If configured for 120/240v it will accept 240v gensets only. It does have two AC inputs with an auto transfer switch. You can use two generators as long as they are both 240v.

Instead of using an Auto Transformer I bought a a Lester Summit II golf cart charger to be able to use my 1600 watt inverter/generator. Allows me to charge at 22 DC watts max. Works very well. Obviously this charger connects directly to the batteries.
                      Conext XW5548
                      Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

• Jfconst
                        • Nov 2018

Originally posted by hammick
                        I had the SW4048 for about a year. It allowed 120v charging through one leg. Can't remember if it had two AC inputs though. All the manuals are on Schneider's website. Unfortunately (actually fortunately) my SW4048 fried a large capacitor because of a software issue. Schneider took them off the market for about six months. They upgraded me to the XW5548 gratis.

The XW inverters cannot charge with a 120v genset unless you configure the XW for 120v only. If configured for 120/240v it will accept 240v gensets only. It does have two AC inputs with an auto transfer switch. You can use two generators as long as they are both 240v.

Instead of using an Auto Transformer I bought a a Lester Summit II golf cart charger to be able to use my 1600 watt inverter/generator. Allows me to charge at 22 DC watts max. Works very well. Obviously this charger connects directly to the batteries.
                        Thank you for the info. Still trying to decide which inverter to get.

Comment

• Jfconst
                          • Nov 2018

Schneider has the sw4048 which only has one a.c. input. To use 2 generators I'd have to have an automatic transfer switch and a step up transformer for the small 120v generator. But then I'd have 240v available to the house load panel. I don't have any 240v appliances, but would have both legs of the panel lit up to run the 120v breakers. Also, I'm guessing the 240v bigger generator would charge the batteries more effectively using split phase rather than just using one 120v legwhen needed.
                          Outback has the vfxr3648 that is just 120v. Have not been able to determine if it has 2 a.c. inputs or not. I could use just one leg of the 240v generator. Not sure if I would be getting the full advantage of the bigger generator to charge batteries with just one leg. Magnum has the mhs re series which has generator support but is only 24v. From what I've learned 48v has many advantages over 24v. So probably not considering magnum. PAE does not have gen support.
                          System is being designed around a 7kwh per day load with peak load around 1600w. 1000 watt generator to carry loads on cloudy days with generator support (inverter set to not change batterirs)to help when loads rise above 1000 watts.(this is all to keep the battery cycles at a minimum). The larger generator would be to change the batteries when it has been cloudy for several days and the batteries are at critical discharge and the small generator has done its job of slowing the discharge if batteries over a period of several days but not charging the batteries.(saving cycles) Also the bigger 12kw generator will power welder and other 240v loads in a completely separate circuit. Still trying to decide which way to go. Maybe there is an inverter I haven't even considered yet. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Comment

• Paul Land
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Nov 2018

Schneider has the sw4048 which only has one a.c. input. To use 2 generators I'd have to have an automatic transfer switch and a step up transformer for the small 120v generator. But then I'd have 240v available to the house load panel. I don't have any 240v appliances, but would have both legs of the panel lit up to run the 120v breakers. Also, I'm guessing the 240v bigger generator would charge the batteries more effectively using split phase rather than just using one 120v legwhen needed.
                            Outback has the vfxr3648 that is just 120v. Have not been able to determine if it has 2 a.c. inputs or not. I could use just one leg of the 240v generator. Not sure if I would be getting the full advantage of the bigger generator to charge batteries with just one leg. Magnum has the mhs re series which has generator support but is only 24v. From what I've learned 48v has many advantages over 24v. So probably not considering magnum. PAE does not have gen support.
                            System is being designed around a 7kwh per day load with peak load around 1600w. 1000 watt generator to carry loads on cloudy days with generator support (inverter set to not change batterirs)to help when loads rise above 1000 watts.(this is all to keep the battery cycles at a minimum). The larger generator would be to change the batteries when it has been cloudy for several days and the batteries are at critical discharge and the small generator has done its job of slowing the discharge if batteries over a period of several days but not charging the batteries.(saving cycles) Also the bigger 12kw generator will power welder and other 240v loads in a completely separate circuit. Still trying to decide which way to go. Maybe there is an inverter I haven't even considered yet. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
                            Spoke to Magnum Rep to size MS-PAE to Genset his recommendation is 3000 watt gen. my suburu 3500 is close enough . I wanted to run 6000w it would have been gen-overkill .Get size recommendation from Mfg,rep

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

When sizing generators, you need to consider:
                              Power factor - many loads have poor PF and can overload a generator
                              Loading at 70-80% of rated cont power. - Battery charging is a severe load, it's constant for long periods. Many generators cannot handle that and must be oversized a bit.

i have 2, 3KW generators, one can charge batteries and run the well pump, the other can only do 1 function, because of PF ratings

Comment

Working...